Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Default Update drivers (and BIOS) before doing the install of OS X? - 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM

The lit that came with my new 10v says before using your computer "Update to the latest computer BIOS and drivers."

Now I know from my earlier question that BIOS no longer matter, so whatever is there is there.

What about drivers? I'm guessing that this is all windows stuff and will be thrown away as soon as I erase the HD to do the install. But could they be talking about some kind of Dell drivers that I actually do need. (they send me to a dell support site to get the drivers)

I'm pretty sure I ignored this step on my previous hack. But I just want to be sure.

My new 10v (still under warranty) was checked out by Dell in June and said to be in fine working order so I hope I can assume that all is up-to-date.

Any thoughts?
J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
The lit that came with my new 10v says before using your computer "Update to the latest computer BIOS and drivers."

Now I know from my earlier question that BIOS no longer matter, so whatever is there is there.

What about drivers? I'm guessing that this is all windows stuff and will be thrown away as soon as I erase the HD to do the install. But could they be talking about some kind of Dell drivers that I actually do need. (they send me to a dell support site to get the drivers)

I'm pretty sure I ignored this step on my previous hack. But I just want to be sure.

My new 10v (still under warranty) was checked out by Dell in June and said to be in fine working order so I hope I can assume that all is up-to-date.

Any thoughts?
J
I don't need to answer about the BIOS, since you knew it already.

The drivers mentioned are OS dependent, if you are using OS X, then the drivers you need are ones for OS X, and to be clear, they aren't available on dell support site, since the dell products actually aren't designed to run OS X, and the OS X itself isn't designed to be installed on non-Apple branded computers.
The drivers (kexts) you need for your mini are included on the OS X and on the NBI.
other things that weren't mentioned are the firmwares, they are stored on each hardware, e.g. Wi-fi card, bluetooth card, etc, firmwares update is very important only if there are some bugs or if you want to make some tweaks (e.g. change the hardware identity, such as make the wifi card to be recognized by OS X as an airport extreme), if there are no bugs and you don't want to do any firmware tweaks, you can simply ignore it.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
...
The drivers mentioned are OS dependent, if you are using OS X, then the drivers you need are ones for OS X, and to be clear, they aren't available on dell support site...
Thanks for the speedy reply. I sort of figured that out, but just wanted to be sure.

Last hack, I just did it. This one, (why? who knows?) I'm being extra careful.

So - I remember last time the first time I turned on the mini I had to set up computer name, username and password for log in and all that - even though I knew I was going to ditch windows.

Is there a way around all this?

Can you believe, I haven't turned the new mini on yet? HOT hot hot here - I'm waiting til tomorrow when heat and humidity should break and the weather will be more conducive to installing.

thanks as always,
J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. I sort of figured that out, but just wanted to be sure.
Yeah, it's good to make sure of everything if we feel unsure before doing something.

Quote:
Last hack, I just did it. This one, (why? who knows?) I'm being extra careful.

Quote:
So - I remember last time the first time I turned on the mini I had to set up computer name, username and password for log in and all that - even though I knew I was going to ditch windows.

Is there a way around all this?
That's only happened when the computer has been installed windows OS, but never been turned on after the windows installation's done.
If you don't want to set up the computer name, username and password, don't turn it on before you are ready to install OS X, once you are ready, turn it on, don't let it boots into windows, set up the bios to boot to the USB stick contains OS X install (or NBM USB stick, depend on which way you prefer to use).
Or, you can delete all the partitions on the hard drive (and then repartition it, but it's not important since disk utility on the OSX installer can do this) using diskpart on windows installer DVD.

Quote:
Can you believe, I haven't turned the new mini on yet? HOT hot hot here - I'm waiting til tomorrow when heat and humidity should break and the weather will be more conducive to installing.

thanks as always,
J
I'm living on the tropical country, so I never know how hot the summer is.
It also explains why my English is very bad.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
That's only happened when the computer has been installed windows OS, but never been turned on after the windows installation's done.
If you don't want to set up the computer name, username and password, don't turn it on before you are ready to install OS X, once you are ready, turn it on, don't let it boots into windows, set up the bios to boot to the USB stick contains OS X install (or NBM USB stick, depend on which way you prefer to use)...

I'm living on the tropical country, so I never know how hot the summer is.
It also explains why my English is very bad.
Your English is absolutely fine - fine enough to make understand everything you've said clearly and be thankful for your help. What tropical country, may I be so bold as to ask?

I don't know what the status of the Window's installation is - the mini was returned to Dell, checked out, and then I bought it with warranty in place. So it may be back to first time start - or not.

In either case, I remember what a hard time we had getting F2 (was it?) to respond and open up BIOS. It kept going way beyond that and opened Windows and we had to turn mini off and start again.

If I do have to take the time to set up password etc, I assume all that does get wiped out when we do the OS X installation anyway.

I wondered if I should set up Windows if that's the only way to make sure the wifi works before doing the install (nervousness again). Just in case the wifi doesn't work and I'd have to return the mini, it'd probably be better to do that with it running Windows and not OS X (though didn't you say you returned one with OS X on it and just were met with surprise by Dell?)

thanks again,
J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Your English is absolutely fine - fine enough to make understand everything you've said clearly and be thankful for your help. What tropical country, may I be so bold as to ask?
It's Indonesia, south east Asia.

Quote:
I don't know what the status of the Window's installation is - the mini was returned to Dell, checked out, and then I bought it with warranty in place. So it may be back to first time start - or not.

In either case, I remember what a hard time we had getting F2 (was it?) to respond and open up BIOS. It kept going way beyond that and opened Windows and we had to turn mini off and start again.

If I do have to take the time to set up password etc, I assume all that does get wiped out when we do the OS X installation anyway.

I wondered if I should set up Windows if that's the only way to make sure the wifi works before doing the install (nervousness again). Just in case the wifi doesn't work and I'd have to return the mini, it'd probably be better to do that with it running Windows and not OS X (though didn't you say you returned one with OS X on it and just were met with surprise by Dell?)

thanks again,
J
the easy way to get in to BIOS is to hit F2 key continuously immediately after pushing the power button, and the led lights up.


It takes less than five minutes to complete the setup username etc, so it's a good idea to check everything works or not via Windows.


No, I didn't return it, I just brought it to Dell for LCD panel replacement.

Last edited by r6680jc; 07-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
It's Indonesia, south east Asia.

the easy way to get in to BIOS is to hit F2 key continuously immediately after pushing the power button, and the led lights up.

It takes less than five minutes to complete the setup username etc, so it's a good idea to check everything works or not via Windows.

No, I didn't return it, I just brought it to Dell for LCD panel replacement.
We travel a lot to India, so I can understand your kind of heat and it is worse that ours.

"hit F2 key continuously" many times - or hold the key down?

Yes, I think doing the setup can't hurt, after all, and should take no time as you say.

Do you have a local Dell place there to bring it to?

J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
We travel a lot to India, so I can understand your kind of heat and it is worse that ours.
It's not that hot here, at least for me.

Quote:
"hit F2 key continuously" many times - or hold the key down?
Many times.


Quote:
Yes, I think doing the setup can't hurt, after all, and should take no time as you say.

Do you have a local Dell place there to bring it to?

J
Yes, it's located about two miles from my home.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.