Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Can't even get installion to start, keep on getting asked to restart - 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm really new to this Dell Hackintosh 10v forum. i can't get OS X to install at all. I don't have access to a Mac so i tried both of these methods:

-NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System
-NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD.

I get to the grey screen with the Apple logo, and after that it always ask me to restart by holding the power button.

I was hoping if someone can help me out. If this is a repeat topic, can someone post a link for me.

thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urples View Post
]
-NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System
-NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD.

I get to the grey screen with the Apple logo, and after that it always ask me to restart by holding the power button.
I had that problem, although I had a USB flash drive created on my Mac. I changed the boot order in the BIOS to be USB first, and HDD second. This fixed the problem on my Mini 10v. Hope it helps.

DL
  (#3) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM

What version of OSX are you using? It's important to use the right osx version with the guide. Also, you may want to redo your osx image as sometimes the image can be your problem. Your flash drive could be a problem too. Some have problems with certain brands of flash drives. If your gonna keep on trying, you might wanna fill your mini's specs into your sig. so helpers can be sure to give you accurate info. I can't point you to your other possible answers, but there are definitely many answers here. It's a common problem in the beginning, especially when building flash drives on windows. Good luck!
  (#4) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 05:27 AM

my dell mini 10v spec:
bios: A04; Hdd 320 gb; 2gb of ram

the two flash drives: 16gb toshiba and 4 gb sandisk

the version of OS x i'm trying to install is 10.6.3
i tried NBI 0.8.4 and NBI 0.8.3

now i'm getting the "can't find mach_kernel"

i'm at a lost and my brain hurts from trying to figure it out. so if anyone can guide me to a solution, i would be very thankful.

if there's any other info i should mention, please let me know.
  (#5) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urples
my dell mini 10v spec:
bios: A04; Hdd 320 gb; 2gb of ram

the two flash drives: 16gb toshiba and 4 gb sandisk

the version of OS x i'm trying to install is 10.6.3
i tried NBI 0.8.4 and NBI 0.8.3

now i'm getting the "can't find mach_kernel"

i'm at a lost and my brain hurts from trying to figure it out. so if anyone can guide me to a solution, i would be very thankful.

if there's any other info i should mention, please let me know.
What guide are you using?
Tried this one yet?: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/24839-os-x-10-6-3-retail-dvd-usb-no-mac-guide.html

I think the issue you're currently experiencing is one that arises due to failed installs. It seems to manifest itself in a couple of different error messages, but basically leaves you unable to even get back to the installer where you could start over.
I wrote up a fix in a different thread:

"If you are able to work with the drive either with Gparted or another partitioning tool;

Specifically: delete all existing partitions so that the entire drive is left as "raw space." make sure to commit the changes. then, formatting it to whatever file system you'd like will rebuild the partition table. I'd just format to fat32 since it's somewhat 'universal.'

Once you've done that, you ought to be able to run the osx install."

GParted is generally included in live Linux distros. If you don't have a live linux USB, it's fairly easy to create one. My current recommendation for this sort of trouble shooting is Parted Magic, as it'll easily fit on 1gig, and doesn't have any unnecessary bulk.

Btw, the USB drives you have should work just fine. But something may have gone wrong in prep, so you might consider starting over using the guide I linked to.

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 04-12-2011 at 05:57 AM.
  (#6) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 06:12 AM

I'll give that guided a try tomorrow, i'm too burnt out tonight to mess with the dell tonight.

i can't get transmac to work for me. i keep getting errors when i try to format with image. is there a different program i can use or an tweaks i can do to get transmac to work?
  (#7) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 04:45 PM

I can't get transmac to format any image to a flash. I keep on getting "error writing to mac disk." is there any other way to get NBI_084RC1.img on a flash drive?
  (#8) Old

Default 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urples
I can't get transmac to format any image to a flash. I keep on getting "error writing to mac disk." is there any other way to get NBI_084RC1.img on a flash drive?
Sorry. I don't know. Way back when I wrote up this guide, it seemed people were having all sorts of trouble with other software, and I finally came across a thread that mentioned transmac. It seemed to be the only solution.

If others have an answer, I hope they will respond.

GL

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup