Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#151) Old

Default 06-03-2013, 03:03 AM

Hi there

Any further info?

Many thanks!
  (#152) Old

Default 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM

Well I'm about stumped...

Really hope someone has an idea here.

I've tried many of the methods on this and many other threads and can't seem to get any reaction from the net book. I'm not confident on the model I have though, below is my reason why.

On the underside of the 10 I have a ref # 08285 which I have looked up at dell.com with no good information or the exact dell mini 10 model this is,

I know this has an HDMI port which I've read on threads indicates it's a 1010, however looking on youtube for upgrade videos the 1010 shown in all of the videos has an extra cover if you will (smaller, similar in size to a memory cover on a full size laptop) this min has none just a full cover on the bottom, no other area)

So I'm a bit confused on which model this is.

I've tried the FN + end esc, b, s , cntrl + a bunch more.

With any of the above the only reaction I get is a quick hit of the floppy and nothing more (tested on all USB ports)

I get no lights what so ever on the mini at all with or without any of the above key combinations.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know at this point with everything I stated above it sounds like it's not a bricked bios issue but I am 99.999% sure its a bricked BIOS because I was updating the BIOS when this happened. Any ideas, Thanks in advance.
  (#153) Old

Default 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM

1010 crashed while updating bios. Black screen when powering on. Tried the suggestions in this thread and the computer is back alive!

Did not have a usb floppy at first, so I tried every single way I could think of to make a bootable usb flash memory to work but it did not. Got hold of a floppy and it worked directly.

I even removed to coin cell battery for 12 hours but it did not make a difference. Removed the power battery and pressed fn+end while inserting power chord. Then pressed power while continuing pressing fn+end. It started to work on the floppy, so I released fn+end. It did not beep while working (it did beep while I tried with flash memory) but it did beep one long time after 5-10 minutes when it was finished and rebooted.

Thanks for the solution!
  (#154) Old

Default Thank you - 12-04-2013, 03:31 PM

I was given a mini 10 yesterday that I had working perfectly until I downloaded the bios update from the dell site. It said writing block 9 of 18 and locked up. When i finally gave up and pulled the power it was a brick.

I followed the instructions posted in this thread and they did not work the 1st time..the long beep never ended but then I tried it again and it worked. I can't thank you guys enough.

I did this:
"Model #: Inspiron Mini 10

1. Get a USB FDD and connect it to a PC with a 32-bit OS. 64-bit did not work due to the MAKEBOOT.exe. I used a Y-E Data 4x FDD and Win7 x86.
2. Download and Run as Administrator the file from SOMMS in post #4
3. Run the EXE in that zip file and follow the instructions in the DOS box
4. Plug the USB FDD into your dead Mini10 and remove its battery.
5. Press Fn + END and plug in the DC power.
[Yes it is difficult to reach the END key. Try this: Plug the power adapter into a power strip and make sure the power strip's switch is OFF. Plug the DC jack into the Mini10. Press Fn + END. Use your toe to power on the power strip.]
6. Power LED will flash. Press Power Button without releasing Fn + END. FDD will read once, stop, then read continuously because it is booting from it. Release Fn + END.
7. Mini10 will beep intermittently and annoyingly for several minutes. DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER. It will reboot itself after one final long-ass BEEEEEP.

Your Mini10 is now UNBRICKED"

-Static
  (#155) Old

Default 12-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Help! I did all the steps i saw and afer a very long minutes of annoying beeps, THERES NO ONE LONG LAST BEEP, and then my dell stills with black screen, and nothing more, a left it all the night with that, and when i woke up stills the same. I have to plug out thw DC adapter because my dell was very hot, now i turned on and only black screen, no more. PLEASE!!!!
  (#156) Old

Default 01-10-2014, 12:40 AM

Thank‘you people! Another Mini1010 is now UNBRICKED :-)
Everything posted by static1701 worked like a charm!
Next few days I will post much more details and considerations as now I’m really tired – it’s 2:40AM
  (#157) Old

Default 01-10-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmasodoacro View Post
Help! I did all the steps i saw and afer a very long minutes of annoying beeps, THERES NO ONE LONG LAST BEEP, and then my dell stills with black screen, and nothing more, a left it all the night with that, and when i woke up stills the same. I have to plug out thw DC adapter because my dell was very hot, now i turned on and only black screen, no more. PLEASE!!!!
Elmasodoacro, is it about Mini1010?
If it is the case, while formatting the Floppy on the same Usb Exterenal floppy drive attached to a Win7/32Bit working PC the report shold say the media is COMPLETELY error free and the .bat file from SOMMS in post #4 should end whithout any error messaage. Then follow exatly the instructions!
If You hear 1 long & 2 short beeps it's the error of the video, You shold notice the FDD starts & stop working synchronously with the Beep nose - dont't continue, waste of time.
If the FDD works WHITHOUT interruption and beeps change, You are probabely on the right way... Don't give up :-)

Last edited by funkytown; 01-10-2014 at 11:46 PM.
  (#158) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM

after all these years on this board I still cant understand why people insist on screwing around with their BIOS to begin with, anyone that does I feel gets what they deserve.....

Old Adage: "If it works.....leave it the hell alone"

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#159) Old

Default 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Count me in, another dell inspiron mini 10 succsessfully unbricked.
First of all thank i want to thank this GREAT forum, somms and brainiac in particular, for providing a solution, i've expected to find these instructions on dell support site, but didn't get any help.

Here's the story:

Created a new account (NOT administrator, simple user) and lent my brother a fully functional mini (win7 updated & antivirus working) for a quick work he had to do.
Few weeks later he came back with a sad face and a bricked netbook in his hands.
What happened? "I don't know, i think i've got a virus" He said.
Spent lot of time searching and figured out that dell's guys decided to change a fully functional bios with a junk of one and zeroes, just for fun.
My brother is an artist, would never get into bios update, neither could do that, since was not admin on that laptop. He just browse the net, and, *kabooom*, got suddenly a beeping pc in the middle of the night that he turned off unplugging the power supply.
Tried a lot before fixing. Read the whole posts, removed battery, opened the laptop, removed internal battery (it's hidden upsidedown, had to unscrew it ALL, thanks again dell engineers) follow instructions, retry, change keyboard combo (for me worked FN+END) managed to create a usb stick and boot from that, beeped a lot, more than 20 minutes and without long final beep, had to force shoutdown, restarted and BINGO! it came back to life with A11 bios (taken from dell R246063.exe)
I've only update one bios in my life, and was forced to do that, ("if it's working, don't fix it" is my motto) why the @#*! dell forces bios updates without asking? (probably had to sell new laptops?)

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again, Max from Italy.
  (#160) Old
Administrator

Default 01-24-2014, 12:47 AM

Dell does not force BIOS updates. It is possible that the BIOS became corrupted on its own, though that would be very unusual.

Steve

Tags
bricked, mini 1010, no screen