Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default Downgrade from Streak5 Android 2.2.2 to 2.2 - 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi ,
My Dell Streak5 is on 2.2.2. Since iam not quite happy with its battery usage and laggy User Interface , I would like to downgrade to 2.2 .
Iam not a techie who understand well the reflash, root terms. A normal person who loves his dell streak 5 but just wants to downgrade to 2.2 .

Can the experts here please help by explaining the downgrade in simple terms please . Iam sure there might be some out there who would benefit too.
Many thanks for reading this request.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Downgrading to 2.2. will not solve the issue of lag. The general solution to lag issues is in finding out what program is causing the lag and uninstalling it or not using it. In this case, the source of your lag is the Stage UI itself.

Use an alternative launcher (ADW EX, LauncherPro, or Go Launcher EX) in place of the Stage UI and you'll see an improvement in both speed and battery life. Reason why? The Stage UI uses a lot of CPU cycles to do its job. As a result of this, the battery is drained much faster than it should be. The source of the lag is that the memory is used inefficiently by the Stage UI.

If you want to improve your battery life even further, go into Settings>Location & Security Settings and uncheck the "use GPS" section. Doing this will prevent you from using Google Navigation unless you turn the GPS antenna on, but the results are worth it. To have easy access to the GPS function, use the included Power Control widget on your new launcher.

Obviously, I have a Streak or I wouldn't be posting here, but with these two changes to the Streak I have seen my battery life improve tremendously. Currently, my phone is sitting at about 65% of full charge, and I've had it off charge since 5am this morning.

Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 08-03-2011 at 12:13 AM.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks Strephon.

Have you got 2.2.2 installed on your Steak too ? Are there any other issues that you have with this version ?

If i install ADW launcher would i loose the Stage UI ? or is it switchable ?

Thanks..
  (#4) Old

Default 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM

The Stage widgets only work with the Stage UI.

I use 351 and it is very stable. I use LauncherPro as my home app.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssomanat View Post
Thanks Strephon.

Have you got 2.2.2 installed on your Steak too ? Are there any other issues that you have with this version ?

If i install ADW launcher would i loose the Stage UI ? or is it switchable ?

Thanks..
351 here with Go Launcher EX. As Marvin points out, the Stage UI widgets do not work on alternative launchers.

If you wanted to switch back and forth between Stage UI and the alternative launcher you could, but realistically you don't even want to bother. There's not one Stage UI widget that is so compelling as to make me want to keep the Stage UI. That's why when I rooted my phone I ripped ever single Stage UI app out of the ROM.

The Streak has been very reliable, and other than one spontaneous bootloop (caused by high temperatures in my area), trouble free.