General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Please post simple upgrade results (10.5.8->10.6) - 08-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Can anyone post results of any upgrade attempt?

I have a perfectly fine Leopard install(10.5.8) on my 10v and I'd like to go to SL. I don't think I want to go through the motions of a complete install.

Seems to me we should be able to attach an external DVD drive and perform the upgrade. Lifehacker makes it seem trivial:

How to Upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard - Snow leopard - Lifehacker

If you've done this, please post your results.

Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default 08-29-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraygun View Post
Can anyone post results of any upgrade attempt?

I have a perfectly fine Leopard install(10.5.8) on my 10v and I'd like to go to SL. I don't think I want to go through the motions of a complete install.

Seems to me we should be able to attach an external DVD drive and perform the upgrade. Lifehacker makes it seem trivial:

How to Upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard - Snow leopard - Lifehacker

If you've done this, please post your results.

Thanks!
Lifehacker is outlining how to upgrade a genuine Mac...not a mini hackintosh. We are all still working on getting 10.6 to install smoothly and have everything work on the mini 9/10v.

Feel free to use me as a referral on click there ᐯᐯᐯ
  (#3) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 08-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Once NetbookInstaller support Snow leopard, the best way ti upgrade will be the following
1) Restore dvd onto 8gb usb drive
2) Patch with NetbookBootMaker
3) Reboot to installer and install
4) Your done

If you just run the installer with an external dvd drive inside of leopard, when it's finished you will have an unbootable system (even with safe mode). So, if you do it that way, make sure you patch the snow leopard dvd and after the reboot you'll have to run NetbookInstaller from it.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#4) Old

Default Upgrade or install? - 08-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort View Post
Once NetbookInstaller support Snow leopard, the best way ti upgrade will be the following
1) Restore dvd onto 8gb usb drive
2) Patch with NetbookBootMaker
3) Reboot to installer and install
4) Your done

If you just run the installer with an external dvd drive inside of leopard, when it's finished you will have an unbootable system (even with safe mode). So, if you do it that way, make sure you patch the snow leopard dvd and after the reboot you'll have to run NetbookInstaller from it.
So will step 3 be where it upgrades a Leopard machine or will it erase and install a new Snow Leopard OS?
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM

The install dvd lets you do either.

My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM

I think he knew that the install DVD allows either... I think he was unsure whether you would be able to "upgrade" to Snow Leopard on a Mini that is already running Leopard.

I am somewhat curious as well because I was unsure whether a fresh install would be required to run SL or not.

Thanks for the updates! How is the SL work going?

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default 08-29-2009, 06:42 PM

The install process for an upgrade is the same as a new install.
NetbookBootMaker patches the postinstall file which gets run either way, so it'll alway patch the new (or upgrade) install to allow booting.

So the short answer is that the process is the same either way.

I've actually been putting up some pegboard at my parent's house today so there isn't much change, but I am working on it still.

(#8) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 02:56 AM

Has anyone tried the SL update from a woking 10.5.8 install using the Dell EFI 1.2a method???
If not I may take some time tomorrow to sacrifice my spare 16gb SSD to an attempt...

L8r,
Gyro
(Short for Gyroscope, Not the Greek sandwich, Although those are tasty!) :lol:
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM

The key words being:
"Once NetbookInstaller support[s] Snow leopard"
In other word, if you try it now, it'll break things.

(#10) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM

The OS 10.6 folder is present, but I do not think work has been completed regarding the kexts that are being used to get a working SL install

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides