Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default XP install problems - 10-04-2011, 10:07 PM

Ok guys I have read quite a few threads on here, I have dell mini 9 i upgraded my ram to 2gig loads better, i have taken my mobile broadband adapter out not needed, I have managed to install Ubuntu from usb no problems I even managed to strip a win 7 iso down and install that on it,

I have the 8gig ssd, Im struggling like hell to install xp the other 2 use far to much hd space for my liking right now, i have managed to get it to boot to the blue install screen of xp i get past f6 option to install sata drivers then i get an error saying failed to find 3waredrv.sys and i have to quit, then sometimes i cant even boot from usb i just get remove media and restart,

I have tried the original disc that came with the dell mini and my nlite xp disc i use on my pc, also tried my 8gig usb stick my 4 and 2 gig sticks, im at a stumo now, should i just quit and grab a usb dvd drive??

any help appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 10-05-2011, 12:37 AM

I am guessing you have enabled 'Legacy USB' in the BIOS right?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

If you can get it to boot Ubuntu from your USB then I think it is set OK. Use the USB next to the power connection on the left side when you are booting. The file you are missing is for SATA which you did not install (F6) & can't use in a Mini 9 anyhow. So I am baffled

Is it possible that you have a corrupted copy of Win XP on your Thumb drive? This could explain the failed boots too.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#4) Old

Default 10-05-2011, 07:45 PM

yep legacy usb is enabled,

and i find it strange it gives me the same error for both versions of xp i have one is home and my nlite is pro which is upto date slipstream disc,

I thought the ssd was pata and didnt need a sata driver ??

EDIT: @Iswartz dude its now going all i have done it use the usb you suggested i dont believe this LOL. thanks, will update it if works or fails.

This is so slooooooow

Dell Mini 9 ,Win 7 Home Premium, 8gig SSD ,2 gig ram, wifi, BT, GPS
Samsung Galaxy s2
Toxic Rom 16gig + 32gig microsd
HTC HD2
running wp7 & Android
32gig micro sd

Last edited by demon_man; 10-05-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: update
  (#5) Old

Default 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM

* crosses fingers on both hands.

(#6) Old

Default 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM

YAY lol,
Finally XP is on, took a while though I was quite surprised by that though. I used this guide
myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/]WinSetupFromUSB – Install Windows XP from USB Flash Drive « myeeeguides.wordpress.

and used the usb slot next to the power jack, thanks to @Iswartz for that tip

Dell Mini 9 ,Win 7 Home Premium, 8gig SSD ,2 gig ram, wifi, BT, GPS
Samsung Galaxy s2
Toxic Rom 16gig + 32gig microsd
HTC HD2
running wp7 & Android
32gig micro sd
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM

yes WinsetupfromUSB works very well, I am the one who posted it here originally, here is the complete install procedure if anyone else needs it:...your above mentioned instructions are in my posting.....I hope thats where you got them from:

NO DVD DRIVE NEEDED:

THIS PROCEDURE HAS BEEN USED BY MANY, I HAVE OVER A THOUSAND DOWNLOADS ON THIS

re-create the USB stick using this:

Download this utility.....I used it many times and hundreds (over 1016 at last count) have also
link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/36803054...SB_0-2-3_2.exe

make sure 1st that you prep the USB drive..theres an option to format it (RMPrepUSB) on the 1st screen and make sure you check off the Win 7 then on the 2nd screen use the NTFS option on the left

1st screen

2nd screen

Good Luck....let me know if you need more help..........

Complete Instructions Here:

WinSetupFromUSB – Install Windows XP from USB Flash Drive « myeeeguides.wordpress.com

and yes it works for Win 7 also, just check off the box for Win 7..see 1st screen

DON'T FORGET TO RELOAD YOUR DELL DRIVERS ALSO!!

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

yes WinsetupfromUSB works very well, I am the one who posted it here originally, here is the complete install procedure if anyone else needs it:...your above mentioned instructions are in my posting.....I hope thats where you got them from:

NO DVD DRIVE NEEDED:

THIS PROCEDURE HAS BEEN USED BY MANY, I HAVE OVER A THOUSAND DOWNLOADS ON THIS

re-create the USB stick using this:

Download this utility.....I used it many times and hundreds (over 736 at last count) have also
link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/36803054...SB_0-2-3_2.exe

make sure 1st that you prep the USB drive..theres an option to format it (RMPrepUSB) on the 1st screen and make sure you check off the Win 7 then on the 2nd screen use the NTFS option on the left

1st screen

2nd screen

Good Luck....let me know if you need more help..........

Complete Instructions Here:

WinSetupFromUSB – Install Windows XP from USB Flash Drive « myeeeguides.wordpress.com

and yes it works for Win 7 also, just check off the box for Win 7..see 1st screen

DON'T FORGET TO RELOAD YOUR DELL DRIVERS ALSO!!

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#8) Old

Default 10-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_man View Post
YAY lol,
Finally XP is on, took a while though I was quite surprised by that though. I used this guide
myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/]WinSetupFromUSB – Install Windows XP from USB Flash Drive « myeeeguides.wordpress.

and used the usb slot next to the power jack, thanks to @Iswartz for that tip
I'm glad it worked for you. I sure like my Mini 9 for traveling - the Nook Color works well but not as convenient.