Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Help Please! Dell Insiron 910 - 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM

Hello everyone,
PLEASE HELP! I Need Hdd password for a dell Inspiron 910
Hdd password error code (13475)
System service tag code (J5BLWF1)
Can anyone help me please....
Thanks in advance!

I have enter my password that I thought was right but I how a screen that say

{Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible comletions of a device/filename.}

grub>

Soooo confused! where did I go wrong?

I can't get passed it,,and when I type something it says Error: Unrecognized command. I'm lost here! Is there any certain command I need to have to get pass this? Any recommendations/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM

You must have gotten past the password - you have gotten to a Linux boot prompt. grub is the Linux boot loader. It could be that your Linux install got corrupted. What OS did you have installed on the system?

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 01-16-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You must have gotten past the password - you have gotten to a Linux boot prompt. grub is the Linux boot loader. It could be that your Linux install got corrupted. What OS did you have installed on the system?
I'm not even sure what's on it. Put I think it is XP. Do you have any suggestions? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Well, someone put Linux on it - or you're booting from a USB flash drive with Linux. I gather this Mini is new to you? If you were to choose a new OS for it, what would you like?

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 01-17-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Well, someone put Linux on it - or you're booting from a USB flash drive with Linux. I gather this Mini is new to you? If you were to choose a new OS for it, what would you like?
It really doesn't matter to me what OS is has as long as it works. What do you recommend? Any suggestions are welcome. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it? All would be appreciated.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 01-18-2013, 12:20 AM

Did you have a USB drive plugged into it when you booted? I'm just trying to figure out what the situation is.

If you want a free OS, then Linux is it. I am not a regular Linux user, but I have seen many people recommend Linux Mint. I typically go for Ubuntu when choosing a general Linux. Just be sure to get a 32-bit version.

As for "fixing it", the fix would most likely be to wipe out what is there and install something new. Where did you get this Mini that you don't know what's on it?

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Looks like this Mini 9 was shipped 2/26/2009 with Ubuntu 8.04 on a 4 GB SSD. I suggest you use 10.04 (32 bit) as the current versions of Ubuntu are larger than 4 GB installed. Please note that your wireless will not work until you download the Broadcom driver using an Ethernet cable.

ADDED;

This might work for you on the password, worth a try anyway.
Reset Your Forgotten Ubuntu Password in 2 Minutes or Less - How-To Geek

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

Last edited by lswartz; 01-18-2013 at 02:00 PM.