General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to atm153 Send a message via Skype™ to atm153
Default Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update - installation and usage reports - 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM

I figured I'd make a nice looking thread for everyone to post their results from installing and configuring of the 10.5.8 update. I'll try to keep this post updated for future viewers.

Installation Reports:
2 main issues appear to be prevalent across most/all of people's installs. These are:
• The battery display in the menu bar will show "Not Charging" if set to show the estimated time remaining (fix in this post, apply with kext helper) [thanks jetkins]
• Some minis will not resume from sleep properly some or all of the time. (fix here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...upgrade-4.html) [thanks KateKat]

After updating, you will need to reinstall extensions through NetbookInstaller or DellEFI to regain WiFi and Bluetooth functionality. Regenerating the dsdt.aml is not necessary.

Combo Updater (10.5->10.5.7 to 10.5.8) Here:
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

10.5.7 to 10.5.8 Updater Here:
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update

Changelog:
• Upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2.
• Improves the accuracy of full history search in Safari 4.
• Resolves an issue in which certain resolutions might not appear in the Display pane in System Preferences.
• Dragging an Aperture image into Automator now invokes an Aperture action instead of incorrectly invoking an iPhoto action.
• Resolves an issue that could prevent importing of large photo and movie files from digital cameras.
• Improves overall Bluetooth reliability with external devices, USB webcams and printers.
• Addresses an issue that could cause extended startup times.
• Improves iCal reliability with MobileMe Sync and CalDav.
• Addresses data reliability issues with iDisk and MobileMe.
• Improves overall reliability with AFP.
• Improves overall reliability with Managed Client.
• Improves compatibility and reliability for joining AirPort networks.
• Improves Sync Service reliability.
• Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
• Improves compatibility with some external USB hard drives.
• Includes latest security fixes.

Recommended Clean Install Guides:
• For Mini 9/Vostro A90 - http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...fi-method.html
• For Mini 10v - http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...ing-works.html [Thanks reydemia]

A fix has been found for the sleep issue! If you are having trouble with sleep, try the modified .kext in this thread.

If you have anything you'd like me to add to this post, please PM me.

Almost all of the information in this post was posted in some form by somebody else, I'm just putting it in one place for easy access.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Just got done installing, didn't have WiFi until I ran DellEFI 1.2a5 again. Gonna have to redownload meklort's trackpad driver too, seems like that's gone too. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have affected anything critical.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Hit software update without thinking! Didn't boot first time, now boots fine. Had to do the BT terminal mod to enable BT switching off. Everything seems fine apart from no audio, and battery icon is stuck on 'charging'. Do I need to re-run DellEFI, if so what options do I tick?
  (#4) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardelamb View Post
Hit software update without thinking! Didn't boot first time, now boots fine. Had to do the BT terminal mod to enable BT switching off. Everything seems fine apart from no audio, and battery icon is stuck on 'charging'. Do I need to re-run DellEFI, if so what options do I tick?
After rerunning DellEFI with remove custom dsdt.aml, Reinstall Dell Mini 9 extensions, Restore 10.5.5 keyboard pref pane, and fix bluetooth checked, then rebooting and regenerating the dsdt.aml, everything was back to normal for me.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm153 View Post
After rerunning DellEFI with remove custom dsdt.aml, Reinstall Dell Mini 9 extensions, Restore 10.5.5 keyboard pref pane, and fix bluetooth checked, then rebooting and regenerating the dsdt.aml, everything was back to normal for me.
Me too. Did have to reinstall trackpad (v 18) but all is good so far.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:07 PM

worked great for me on a mini9. I rebooted okay (unlike .6 -> .7) but had to rerun DellEFI like others are saying.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Installed from software update. My mini doesnt like to restart (hangs at a black screen) so when it got to this stage I did a power cycle.

Upon booting ran DellEFI, selected remove dsdt.aml, selected no for "restart?" and then promptly reopened DellEFI and select "generate dsdt.aml" then I restarted, and am up an running per usual.

Mini 9 | 16GB Runcore | 2GB RAM | OS X 10.5.8 | WWAN (T-Mobile UK)

Contributor to the NetbookInstaller project
  (#8) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks for DellEFI help, got my audio back. However battery icon in menu bar is still showing 'not charging' instead of battery time left. Apart from that all is well!
  (#9) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Hello. I'm still on 10.5.6 because last time I was too lazy to do all the steps to update since I read the normal software update was not working. Can I upgrade this time from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 by using the software update or the combo update?
  (#10) Old

Default 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM

just noticed that my mini 9 isn't sleeping when I shut the lid (but i can select the sleep option to make it nap) anyone else experiencing this?

Mini 9 | 16GB Runcore | 2GB RAM | OS X 10.5.8 | WWAN (T-Mobile UK)

Contributor to the NetbookInstaller project

Tags
10.5.8, dellefi, update