General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi All,

I just upgraded from the factory STEC 16GB to a RunCore 64GB. I'm trying to figure out the best method to resize the partition after imaging my 16GB install of OS X to the new drive. PartedMagic (gparted) doesn't support resizing HFS+, or at least the version included with the USB stick I created to install OS X initially.

What's the best method to resize this partition? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thank you!
-Brent
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM

I don't have a good answer for you, but a warning: The latest versions of gparted do support resizing of hfs+. However, I tried shrinking my hfs+ partition using gparted and it ended up destroying the partition. Perhaps growing would work better, I don't know.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 01:57 PM

There is a program called iPartition that I believe allows for partition resizing, although you may have had to originally format the drive with the program. You might want to check that.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Disk util supports partition resizing (and while we are at it, imaging to a new drive wile resiziing at the same time)

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the replies!!!! I'm not sure how to do it within Disk Utility.

When I use Ghost on Windows based systems. It would give me the option to copy the source partition to the destination and resize at the same time. Not with HFS+

Is there a definitive way to do this??? iPartition costs $$$ and I don't see how to do this within Disk Utility (sorry, I haven't used a mac since System 7.=).

Does anyone have a definitive way to do this? I could reinstall MacOSX but I'd really like to keep my installation. It's taken hours to build. Thanks again for all your help!!!!
  (#6) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 09:36 PM

With disk util, you select the hard drive (ssd) and go to the partition tab. There you can resize the partition by dragging on the resize icon thing (same as the one on the lower right corner of every window) or you can enter a new size in the "Size:" form. After that you resize it by hitting apply.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Totally possible. I had to do this when I tried to dual boot Windows 7 with Mac OS X, the Windows 7 was botched so I just deleted the partition it was on and the dragged the Mac partition to fill in the free space. A little time later I was good to go.

As for resizing when transferring to a different drives, this works all the time when I transfer my 16 GB SSD install to an 8 GB USB drive. (I have an install 7 GB or smaller so it fits no matter which one.) All I do is use the Restore tab in Disk Utility, set my Mac partition on the SSD as the Source and the Mac-formatted partition on my USB drive as the destination. The OS automatically adjusts for the size of the disk, in fact almost doesn't know that a transfer has happened! Then when I want to transfer it back (going backwards with the above steps) it automatically adjusts to the free space available on the SSD. The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to reinstall DellEFI each time you transfer disks, and will need to boot the first time with DellMiniBoot.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#8) Old

Default Re: Resizing HFS+ partition - 03-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew
Totally possible. I had to do this when I tried to dual boot Windows 7 with Mac OS X, the Windows 7 was botched so I just deleted the partition it was on and the dragged the Mac partition to fill in the free space. A little time later I was good to go.

As for resizing when transferring to a different drives, this works all the time when I transfer my 16 GB SSD install to an 8 GB USB drive. (I have an install 7 GB or smaller so it fits no matter which one.) All I do is use the Restore tab in Disk Utility, set my Mac partition on the SSD as the Source and the Mac-formatted partition on my USB drive as the destination. The OS automatically adjusts for the size of the disk, in fact almost doesn't know that a transfer has happened! Then when I want to transfer it back (going backwards with the above steps) it automatically adjusts to the free space available on the SSD. The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to reinstall DellEFI each time you transfer disks, and will need to boot the first time with DellMiniBoot.
IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Using Disk Utility was much less effort than any other method I tried. Sounds like I need to open up my intuition more when working with Mac OS instead of putting the hammer to it.

Thanks again!
  (#9) Old

Default 07-18-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Using Disk Utility was much less effort than any other method I tried. Sounds like I need to open up my intuition more when working with Mac OS instead of putting the hammer to it.

Thanks again!
So, did you guys increase or decrease the size of your Partition? Which version/ rev of DU and Mac OSX?
  (#10) Old

Default 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
So, did you guys increase or decrease the size of your Partition? Which version/ rev of DU and Mac OSX?
A couple of days ago I successfully decreased partition size using Disk Utility 11.5.2 with OS X 10.6.6.