Dell Mini 12 Forum for discussion on the discontinued Dell Inspiron Mini 12.

(#1) Old

Default Bricked Mini 12 flashing Bios running Windows 7 - 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM

I did a stupid thing. I saw a new bio A04 came out on 5/8. I just assume my 2-week old Mini needs it. So without thinking much, I flashed it using the Windows version utility. It unpacked OK, then it was "not responsing" during the "Reading Old Bios" stage but before the"writing new Bios" stage. After 10 minutes of so, I "cancelled" the process.

My Mini 12 seemed to be working fine afterward.

But No....

Now the computer will not boot up at all. It has black screen and does not recognize any drive. I tried boot up on a DOS CD (on a USB CD drive) and nothing happened. Same with USB Flash drive.

After speaking to Dell tech support for 30 minuties, my Mini 12 is going back to Dell next week.

I am not sure what might have happened. It may be the Windows Bios flash utility is not compatible with Windows 7. May be it is something else.
  (#2) Old

Default My Dell Mini 12 Brick(tm) - 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM

ARGGG!! I did the same stupid thing. I ran the bios update utility in windows 7 RC but then came to my senses. I went to click cancel, but I accidentally clicked the 'start' button (very sensitive mousepad). It got stuck on the "Reading" stage, and the whole computer froze. I waited for a while, but then I gave up and shut the computer off (had to pull the plug and the battery).

Now nothing works. I press the power button and the power light comes on, and that's it... nothing else comes one (not even the LCD backlight). I have to hold the power button to turn it off...

I have to return it to the Dell depot now. Who knows how long they will take...
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...s-utility.html

FWIW: You could probably recover your Mini12 from failed Windoze BIOS flash using a USB floppy drive by substituting the Mini12 BIOS rom file instead of the Mini9 rom since the OEM for Mini9/10/10v/12 is Compal Phoenix BIOS...

(#4) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Hi somms,

I'm willing to try this, but where can I find the ROM file for the mini 12? Dell is only providing .exe files. Thanks!
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Got the file required to build the bootable USB floppy including the Mini12 A04 BIOS.ROM with but I'm unable to link ATM due to the attachement file size has been lowered for the forum!

PM me your email address and I will send you the file...

(#6) Old

Default 05-15-2009, 01:31 AM

Thank you for the file somms. Unfortunately, no joy... I think my system is too far gone. I pressed the Fn + B as you indicated, but did not get any light or sound from the computer when plugging the power in. I tried to go ahead and turn it on (while holding Fn+B) and the computer didn't try to even read from the floppy... I guess this baby is going back to the factory...

Thanks for your help anyway...
  (#7) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 03:08 AM

This happened to me also. I chatted with dell and had another motherboard the next day. Not to bad of service.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Hope this list of people of bricking the mini is not growing. If there is a problem with the flashing utility running on WIndows &, then Dell should have issued a warning.

BTW, the customer service is downright strange,comparing to old Dell. They have called me on Sunday midday inquiring if I had any problem sending the Mini back via Fedex. Then I received another automated phone call (and email too) from Dell stating they have received my Mini. The customer agent said he sould call me in 3 days to let me know the status.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Wink 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzly View Post
Hope this list of people of bricking the mini is not growing. If there is a problem with the flashing utility running on WIndows &, then Dell should have issued a warning.
Actually, the infamous Windoze-based phoenix bios-flash failures have been around since Mini9 was introduced last year...

Shoot me a PM if you brick your Mini12 and want to try the recovery using a USB floppy drive!

(#10) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Got my Mini12 from Dell 2 days ago. Dell "replaced" the motherboard, but the Bios was A01. It is at A04.

Well, being stupid again, I flash it to A04 using DOS boot up disk (on USB). First time around ir could boot up and forced me to go into "Repair" mode. But no error was found. Second time around, it rebooted fine.

I guess I am taking a breather on upgrading Bios.