Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#41) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM

There's no inverter for the Mini displays - they're all LED-backlit.

Steve
  (#42) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxrider9 View Post
just found this link any one know if its legit or usable for the 1012 at $53 maybe worth it?
DELL RKDY3 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 10.1" WXGA HD LED $53.98
Has anyone ordered from this place? I just noticed that it's on my way home from work, so I wouldn't mind picking one up in person and saving $15 in S&H. Less than $50 including tax seems awesome to me to upgrade my 1012.
  (#43) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM

i ordered mine this past monday but it hasnt gotten here yet i plan on doin the install the second it arrives so ill post how it goes
  (#44) Old

Default 06-18-2010, 11:07 PM

well i got the display today and all i can say is wow amazing they sent me an lg one but the quality is awesome and i never realized how much better and usable the screen is and the install was super simple...oh and no problems to report here their legit and its working great
  (#45) Old

Default 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
well i got the display today and all i can say is wow amazing they sent me an lg one but the quality is awesome and i never realized how much better and usable the screen is and the install was super simple...oh and no problems to report here their legit and its working great
awesome...thanks for the update. I guess I'll pick one up next week on my way back from work!
  (#46) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM

I know it's not the 10v forum, but it's the correct thread 8)
Does anyone know if changing the 10v screen to 1366x768 (like for the 1012) is possible?

Edit a bit later...
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...ort-no-go.html

French Mini9 + 2GB + RunCore 64GB
Currently running 10.6.3
  (#47) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
just found this link any one know if its legit or usable for the 1012 at $53 maybe worth it?
DELL RKDY3 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 10.1" WXGA HD LED $53.98
So I stopped by their store (which is really just a small 8-person call center with boxes of LCDs) and picked up the HD screen for $45 cash. I got the M875K version instead of the RKDY3, which is a matte screen (they said they didn't have the glossy one in stock). I actually prefer the matte screen (less fingerprints showing, better in light, and easier on the eyes for me).

Install took about an hour for me...mostly because it took me like 40 mins to get the damn bezel off. Couldn't tell how it would come apart and was trying to make sure I didn't snap it. Using a credit card is def a good way to go with it.

Got the new screen installed easy and it's running great! 1366x768 resolution came up right away and the extra screen real estate is so great. Makes the 1012 so much more usable. Now I can see entire windows that used to get cut off.

Video looks great. Processor is still a little sluggish to process 720p video off youtube, but I think it's more 'cause of the Win7 and bloatware (McAfee) than anything else. Once I get the hang of Ubuntu and get it running, I'm sure it'll be a lot better.
  (#48) Old

Talking 06-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Just installed my 1366x768 Screen upgrade (matte) from www.blisscomputers.net

The bezel will come off with the two credit card method. I have a couple spots where the plastic is slightly tweaked along the outside edge. Hardly worth mentioning.

Be careful when you pull the video card ribbon off of the old LCD. The ribbon is securely taped down with Incredible Hulk Tape. Really. This stuff was sticky. Don't pull the tape back too far or you might rip some soldered wires from the interface.

Didn't have to make any resolution changes. Windows 7 Ultimate automatically did it for me.

Took it outside to use and the matte finish is definitely better in the sunlight. (for myself anyway)

Took about 30 minutes. Again, the bezel was the time consumer.

The additional usable screen area is awesome.

Thanks to all the folks with the great information.

I didn't take any pictures since the Dell instructions are fairly accurate.

I only took off the bezel to do the screen. I didn't do the whole diaasembly thing.

Cheers

BestBuy retail Dell 1012/ Crucial Vostro 2GB (CTVOS2GBN2S806C) /60GB OCX SSD/3150 Graphics, 1366x768 (From Bliss Computers), 1397 Wifi, Win 7 Ultimate.
  (#49) Old

Default 07-02-2010, 04:11 AM

Mine arrived today (matte) version. The swap was quite simple and picture is amazing. Thanks for the link, bliss computers rocks!
  (#50) Old

Default 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd636 View Post
Mine arrived today the swap was quite simple and picture is amazing. Thanks for the link, bliss computers rocks!
I did mine last week - took about 5 minutes with the instructions from this thread. I didn't need to unplug the webcam and using a single credit card to pop the clips slowly worked great. Bliss computers had the best price but $15 shipping was a bit high for priority mail (still way cheaper then the other LCD shops).