Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 O/S Needed - 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM

When the Dell Mini 9 first came out, I purchased one and ended up giving it to a relative. They happily used it for a long time, but eventually replaced it (with a Macbook). So recently, they returned it to me. I had the Netbook Ubuntu mix installed on it (wiped the XP), but now I'd like to put Windows back on it. Trouble is I don't seem to find a recovey disk, and from what I read here, it probably didn't come with one.

I suppose I could go buy a license for 7, but at this stage I'm not sure the cost could be justified. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a source for a recovery CD or image someplace? The ULPC XP sticker is still attached, so I don't need a key, but I don't know where to look for a copy of the recovery CD.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
  (#2) Old

Default 04-06-2012, 02:31 AM

I bought a few dell mini 9's (over 5 in quantity). some directly from dell (refurbished/scratch and dent) and some from eBay. they were not all for me. one was bought from here (mydellmini forum). i know that some came with a XP home CD, coz i kept a couple of them. [if i can find them] i don't know if i can send it to you without violating the forum policy.

i do believe that you can use any Dell windows XP cd installation disc on the mini 9. windows 7 otoh won't work. dell windows xp cd's are available on eBay.

i HIGHLY recommend the linux mint 12 on the mini 9 as i have it running on my own dell mini 9. performance is phenomenal. there is a challenge of getting the broadcom wifi to work, tho. i have the atheros wifi on mine so i don't have a problem. i'm so happy with the linux mint 12, i'm even considering to install it on my dell 1121 (11z) notebook. if i had more room on the 40GB ssd, i would dual boot, but i don't (the dell recover OS is taking 12GB)...

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 04-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Windows Mini 9s did come with a recovery CD. I believe palawan is correct that a Dell XP recovery CD would work, though you may be missing some drivers if it's not the one for the Mini 9. These can be downloaded from Dell.

Steve
  (#4) Old

Default 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM

i'm sorry if OOT but could any of you tell me the speediest OS that could run on my mini 9 .
i'm not familiar with linux and os x but is it true that they running faster then xp ?

tx mate
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Run XP if that's what you know. Windows 7 feels faster, but the truth is that most any newly installed OS will seem fast at first.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avto View Post
i'm sorry if OOT but could any of you tell me the speediest OS that could run on my mini 9 .
i'm not familiar with linux and os x but is it true that they running faster then xp ?

tx mate
A clean install of Win XP speeds it up nicely but over time it does slow down. It is an old OS so it is hard to complain about it. Since you already have it, I would stick with it. I'll defer to Steve on Win 7, but that would be my choice of Windows versions. However, there is no slow down of my version of Ubuntu or the 10.04 Desktop version.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#7) Old

Default 09-30-2012, 02:12 AM

Call Dell. I got a Windows XP disk for a used Dell laptop sent to my door for $10.

Mini 9|2GB|16GB SSD| Intel 6235AN | WinXP Pro - eBay: 9/28/2012
Mini 10v|1GB|160GB HDD|WinXP Home - eBay: 11/4/2014