General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Exclamation Help! I Bricked my Dell Mini 9 OSX Install 10.5.7 - 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM

I installed OSX onto my Dell Mini 9 quite a while back, using the step by step guide provided by GIZMODO, the Type 11 Install.
I recently Time machined my net-book and toughed it out just downloading and installing the new 10.5.7 update to see what would happen. To my luck, I bricked my Dell Mini. Now I receive a white screen with a few glitch scratches scattered throughout, but I have a working mouse. Safe boot ends up with the same result.
I was wondering if someone could help me with a better way to Re-install Mac OSX using the 2 USB's Method (since I have read that the "type11" Install is no longer a good way to install). As well as some easy step by step instructions on properly setting up me Dell Installation for a correctly working version of Mac OSX 10.5.7 on my Dell mini 9.
I am currently downloading the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.7.dmg to have it prepared for use.

Your time and effort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
-Kyle
  (#2) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM

(#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM

What he said.

Plus, that's not really bricking it.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Default 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Why not just Safe Boot and reinstall DellEFI? This is a very common problem with upgrades to 10.5.7 -- or am I missing something?
  (#5) Old

Default 06-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedweller View Post
Why not just Safe Boot and reinstall DellEFI? This is a very common problem with upgrades to 10.5.7 -- or am I missing something?
How do you reinstall DellEFI from the safe boot? I had Chameleon 2.0b installed and was working great with 10.5.6 and have this same issue.

Thanks for the help!
  (#6) Old

Default Use a USB stick - 06-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbac View Post
How do you reinstall DellEFI from the safe boot? I had Chameleon 2.0b installed and was working great with 10.5.6 and have this same issue.
Funny, I did the same thing on Wednesday, on a Mini that I had just received in the mail.

Sometimes Safeboot would give me the screen with lots of short horizonatl lines, sometimes it would give me a normal login screen. I tried an external monitor with normal resolution, and the usual PC Fn-8 screen switching keystroke, and eventually got a login screen. From there it was easy — I put Dell EFI 1.2.alpha5.zip on a USB memory stick, copied it to the Mini, unzipped it (just double click, OSX Finder is zip-aware :-) and launched the EFI installer. If you read the directions on this, you will see that you need to run the EFI installer twice, with different settings.

After the second reboot, everything was working again — correct display resolution, WiFi, and so on.

Tags
10.5.7, bricked, mini 9, troubleshooting