My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#61) Old

Default MDD replacement battery questions - 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Ok, so my wife's Mini9's original battery is not holding a charge like it used to and I really don't want to drop $100 for Dell's weak replacement. I've read this thread almost 100% and I can see that it looks to work good with A06 (not really worried about that as her A05 does just fine) but what i'm curious about is how it works physically with the laptop. For example does it fit snugly or does it wiggle? I thought I read from someone that it limits how far the screen/lid can open, is that true? I saw in the pictures that it is larger. Does it get overly warm in use or during charging? Extended charge time makes sense as it is a larger capacity.

Basically just want a go or no go for this as a good replacement (not just because its less expensive).

Thanks for your time,

Shawhan
  (#62) Old
Administrator

Default 03-01-2010, 04:34 PM

The battery fits just as well as the stock 4-cell does. Mine has no wiggle and the locks slide into place. I have not noticed the battery getting warm. Yes, it does somewhat limit the screen opening, which is none too wide on the 9 anyway. You can see in my picture how wide it opens. Whether this is a problem for you depends on the angle at which you'll be viewing the screen. The more perpendicular you can get, the better. As I am tall, I tend to insert something (magazine, etc.) under the front edge of the Mini to tilt it back a bit.

Steve
  (#63) Old

Default 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Is it just me, or does it make the Mini 9 look like it developed cancer? Wouldn't a second regular battery give you the same (or closely similar) performance curve?

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#64) Old
Administrator

Default 03-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Two regular batteries would give you a bit less than the runtime of the extended battery, due to the way battery chemistry works, but...

- A regular battery costs as much as the extended battery
- You'd be running the regular battery down to close to zero, which is not good for a LithiumIon battery. One assumes that you wouldn't be taking the extended battery all the way to zero, except in extreme cases.

Yes, I agree it is unsightly and it causes some ergonomic problems, but if you want continuous runtime in excess of five hours, this is the way to go.

Steve
  (#65) Old

Default 04-09-2010, 12:48 PM

I've just got mine the other day... I'm not too happy. First of all it feels wonky, I can hear something moving in there. Second, it cuts off when the OS reports 20~30% (was doing a capacity test, I don't usually run the battery down). No alert of any sort, it just fails. My test also indicates it won't run (almost no cpu usage, screen all the way down, no BT, w/ WiFi) more than 5h. Is something wrong with my unit or are others reporting the same? I'm still on A04, maybe I should update?

EDIT: BTW I'm not trying to bitch or anything but just figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if something is wrong with the unit before I start contacting MDD.

UPDATE:
These are captures from pmset -g rawlog

Code:
Charged and plugged:
  external connected = yes
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = no
  cap = 4922/4922
  time remaining = 1092:15
  current = 0
  cycle count = 5/300
  location = 0

Discharging close to failure point (about 1min prior to shutdown):
  external connected = no
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = no
  cap = 1338/4922
  time remaining = 2:09
  current = -622
  cycle count = 5/300
  location = 0

Charging after the failure:
  external connected = yes
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = yes
  cap = 89/4884
  time remaining = 6:20
  current = 762
  cycle count = 6/300
  location = 0

MacBook Mini | 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor | 2GB DDR2 RAM (533MHz) | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3 MP Integrated Webcam | BIOS A06 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: Enabled | Mac OS X 10.6.1 | NBI
  (#66) Old

Default 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Upgraded to A06, same behaviour. I also don't get a flashing led before shutdown

MacBook Mini | 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor | 2GB DDR2 RAM (533MHz) | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3 MP Integrated Webcam | BIOS A06 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: Enabled | Mac OS X 10.6.1 | NBI
  (#67) Old

Default 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSmurf View Post
I've just got mine the other day... I'm not too happy. First of all it feels wonky, I can hear something moving in there. Second, it cuts off when the OS reports 20~30% (was doing a capacity test, I don't usually run the battery down). No alert of any sort, it just fails. My test also indicates it won't run (almost no cpu usage, screen all the way down, no BT, w/ WiFi) more than 5h. Is something wrong with my unit or are others reporting the same? I'm still on A04, maybe I should update?

EDIT: BTW I'm not trying to bitch or anything but just figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if something is wrong with the unit before I start contacting MDD.

UPDATE:
These are captures from pmset -g rawlog

Code:
Charged and plugged:
  external connected = yes
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = no
  cap = 4922/4922
  time remaining = 1092:15
  current = 0
  cycle count = 5/300
  location = 0

Discharging close to failure point (about 1min prior to shutdown):
  external connected = no
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = no
  cap = 1338/4922
  time remaining = 2:09
  current = -622
  cycle count = 5/300
  location = 0

Charging after the failure:
  external connected = yes
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = yes
  cap = 89/4884
  time remaining = 6:20
  current = 762
  cycle count = 6/300
  location = 0
Please PM me directly and we can get you set up with a RMA.

MyDigitalDiscount.com is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on Twitter.com/MyDigital or become a fan on Facebook.com/MyDigitalDiscount to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#68) Old

Default 04-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Received my battery 2 days ago and I am having the exact same experience as xSmurf. The battery is moving around inside the casing (not secure inside).
I have tested the battery 4 times, just letting the machine sit idle with no cpu usage, screen all the way down, no BT, w/ WiFi. Mine also cuts off when the OS reports 20~30%, which is ~4 hours starting with the battery fully charged. My Mini 9 | 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor | 2GB DDR2 RAM (533MHz) | 16GB SSD | 1.3 MP Integrated Webcam | BIOS A06 | Windows 7 Ultimate

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Also, I have no charging issues with either the machine powered on or off. But it does take ~5 hours to charge either way.
  (#69) Old

Default 04-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Aiyo! I was thinking of placing order and found out its backorder in MDD site.

Then browse here and surprise me that the current batch of battery got problem. I am in Malaysia if later got to RMA the battery, shipping fee will burn a big hole in my pocket.

So, any update until now? I am going to place order if things go well...
  (#70) Old

Default 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Any ETAs on this battery? Been looking to order one for a while.