Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Exclamation Dell 10 wont boot thumb drive to install OSX. Help on how to fix. - 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Hey dell mini community,
I have a dell mini 10, and I am doing the steps to install OSX Snow leopard onto it through a 15 gig USB drive, but when booting the USB, The  logo appears and the pinwheel. But eventually the pinwheel freezes. I've waited at least 30 minutes with the pinwheel stuck after many reboots. My question is, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to Upgrade or downgrade the BIOS? Can someone please point me to a step by step process to install OSX onto my netbook. Preferably one that I can update to the current OS version in a software update without corrupting it. I try to find a method, but it's either too old or not working. I have the Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD and a 15 Gig Usb to work with. As well as my iMac to Restore the install disk to the USB.
Thank you
-Kyle Young

(p.s. I also have a dell mini 9 with OSX installed. But the wi-fi is unable to be turned on. how do I fix this? It's a "purple" netbook from P3 Software keeps you connected. but it's still a dell.)
  (#2) Old

Default 12-05-2009, 01:53 PM

You're gonna want this guide:
NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

But the BIOS is a potentially big issue. Which version is it? Do you know how to check? You need to hit the F2 key when you see the Dell logo when it's booting up.

Also: is this a Dell Mini 10 or a Dell Mini 10v? While there have been reports of successful installs on the 10, I don't know that any of the install guides work for it. You'd have to read through this thread.

As for your Mini 9 woes, we're gonna need a lot more information. What install method you used (Type11? DellEFI? Netbookmaker?) and what version of OSX you're running, for starters.

Inspiron 6000 "Scheherazade" Ubuntu 10.04
iMac G4 (17") "Snow Maiden" MacOS 10.5.8
Mini 10v "Bumblebee" MacOS 10.6.4 / NBI 20100616...
  (#3) Old

Default 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM

To antar05,
My BIOS version is: A05
and the Product name is an "Inspiron 1010". I. not sure if that answers your question on the difference between a mini 10 or a mini 10v. How would I tell the difference in that?

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by antar05 View Post
As for your Mini 9 woes, we're gonna need a lot more information. What install method you used (Type11? DellEFI? Netbookmaker?) and what version of OSX you're running, for starters.
For the Mini 9 I used the Netbookmaker install method. And It's running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6
  (#4) Old

Default 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM

If you have a 10 (1010) instead of 10v (1011), you will not be able to run OSX due to the lack of a graphics driver. The 10's video card is not supported.

See here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...answer-no.html

I'm going ahead to eat my words: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...w-leopard.html
  (#5) Old

Default 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM

How can I go about installing Windows 7 on it then?

Tags
booting, frozen, install, osx, step by step