Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Mac OS & Vista together - 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Hi can someone help.

I wish to install Mac OS and then run Vista together with it so my windows apps work too but I want the main system to be Apple.

1. What would be your optimum hardware upgrade recommendations?

2. How would I do this? Bootcamp? VMware?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Upgrades? The biggest SSD you can get and 2GB memory.

Both of these OS's use a lot of space, out of the box OS X uses about 6GB, Vista probably uses the same or more, and continuously gets larger...
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Question, why would anyone want to run vista. I have several different machines using windows XP and one using vista, bought before i really understood how bad it is. Several service packs and updates it might work. Many of the things i want to use just do not work on Vista. I bought the mini with out waiting for a break in period because i was afraid that someone would put Vista on it. That is the last thing i would want. I see the new adds that Microsoft has put up and i disagree. no matter what it looks like it is still a pain and i have to go to other computers to run what i want. Granted in a year or so third party developers will get their programs working on Vista and then maybe if it has less bugs i might like my Vista machine.

By the way i am a mac person from 1984. i just am not used to the problems that windows puts up with.

ken_r
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Bashing Vista is no longer the "cool" thing to do. Because its just lame.

The only point to make is the Dell Mini 9 is too low spec (Ram and Hard Disk) to run Vista brilliantly. Upgrade them, and it will work perfectly even with Windows Aero enabled

Then you could install Vista, partition the hard drive into two, Install Mac OSX on the other partition.
Then boot off the Vista Disc and repair the boot loader that Mac OSX removed, then load back into Vista and Install Vistabootpro (http://www.vistabootpro.org)
Set it up with Mac OSX on the other partition then you got both working, with a on boot loader which lets you select which one you wish to boot up

Nimrod
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Mmm, must fall in that category with "beating up a retard"....
I don't believe that Vista does anything that XP can't, so there's really no need to torture yourself with Vista. Me, I plan to install OSX on my Mini, and run XP in Parallels. I've run Parallels on an Atom based machine before, it actually ran fairly decently. Definitely far from Native speed, but usable on a limited basis, which is all I ever used it for.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM

I plan to do the same, using VirtualBox on Ubuntu to run an XP virtual machine.

If they get the card reader working in OSX I might migrate to it. Vista runs *great* on my desktop, if I need it, I can always use RDP...

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Mac OS & Vista together - 10-09-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod
Mmm, must fall in that category with "beating up a retard"....
I don't believe that Vista does anything that XP can't, so there's really no need to torture yourself with Vista. Me, I plan to install OSX on my Mini, and run XP in Parallels. I've run Parallels on an Atom based machine before, it actually ran fairly decently. Definitely far from Native speed, but usable on a limited basis, which is all I ever used it for.

First the overall look of Vista vs XP is a night and day difference. I like Aero, and currently have Vista Premium installed with 2GB of memory. Also have Outlook installed and have had no issues having 2-3 rdp windows open, Trillian, and running several tabs of a browser.

On top of that I have an entire household of Vista Media Center machines and extenders. I can now load Vista Media Center, and stream any of my dvd's over the wireless connection, and use the netflix add on to stream netflix movies to the Mini.

Granted one could do that with XP Media Center, but the interface is no where near as good.

-Dravor