Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#21) Old

Default 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM

To Frasierman and others:

I am clearly a newbie proven by my number of posts to date. I just got my 10v.

I love the simple instructions that Frasierman has put together.

I don't have a Mac. I would love to see how these instructions would change if I am installing Snow Leopard using Windows and a DVD.

Thanks!
  (#22) Old

Default 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukietk View Post

I don't have a Mac. I would love to see how these instructions would change if I am installing Snow Leopard using Windows and a DVD.

Thanks!
You will need to adapt Frasierman's guide plus this guide: http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi2.shtml

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | NBI 0.8.3 Final - Accessible system
  (#23) Old

Default 12-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukietk View Post

Thanks!
Coming soon!

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my guide for installing SL 10.6.2 on your brand new Dell Mini 10v!
  (#24) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 01:49 AM

I'm on AIM to help you guys! ... it's "willsmidlein"

(#25) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 07:55 AM

My 1st 10v is on the way!! can't wait to run through all this, just wanted to say thanx for the site and all the posts, the info on this site helped me to make the decision on which netbook to buy!! one question, has anyone seen a post about running photoshop on an OSX mini?
  (#26) Old

Smile Step 22 - 12-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Hello,
My 10V has now been hackintoshed! I did run into one issue. The only way to update to 10.6.2 was to restart. You don't have an option to not restart. Only option is to install & restart. It installs the updates and automatically restarts the netbook. I crossed my fingers and it came back up fine. I did run the
0.8.3 RC4 again after it came back up.

Step 22. Hit the Apple logo at the top left, Software Update, then update..... once it wants you to install, install but when it tells you to restart DO NOT RESTART!!!

Also, I did the step below but noticed in 0.8.3 RC4 there is an option to create the dsdt.aml file. I did not want to chance it!
Step 21. Run NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 (alpha) and have it generate the dsdt.aml file. Then exit NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 and run 0.8.3 RC4.

Thanks for all of your help! The guide works. You might want to update step 22. Next project is taking the whole thing apart to add 2 GB of ram. Wonder if they made it hard to get to it because microsoft won't allow 2 GB of ram to be installed if it comes with XP? I talked to a sales rep and they said they can't sell it with 2 GB of ram if it has XP on it. You can get Ubuntu on it with 2 GB but they won't sell you the Wireless N card then. They say it is not compatable with Ubuntu. I guess you have to roll the dice and decide what you want to have.

Thanks again!
  (#27) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the update itnerdchris! I will update the guide! Congrats on your hackintosh!

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Good news everyone! I plan on buying a Mini 9 later today so if all goes well, I will write a guide for it too! I am also in the middle of working on my guide for Windows (it's a little bit difficult for me because I don't have a Windows computer in my house)

UPDATE - I don't have enough money to buy a Mini 9 so until I get some donations....

Thanks so much for all your guys support!

(#28) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Hi, first time poster.

I am looking into getting a 10v as I really want one. I understand nearly everything on what's happening when you install Snow Leapord but what do 'NetBootMaker' and 'NetbookInstaller' actually do? and do I need to wait for someone to make new versions everytime Apple brings out a new software update?

Edit: A couple more questions I need cleared up. What is the 'Combo Update'? What is 'Chameleon'?

I do appologise if this is an extremley nooby question but I just want to make sure I know about everything before 'taking the plunge'.

Ewan.
  (#29) Old

Default 12-17-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-e-G-i View Post
Hi, first time poster.

I am looking into getting a 10v as I really want one. I understand nearly everything on what's happening when you install Snow Leapord but what do NetBootMaker and NetbookInstaller actually do? and do I need to wait for someone to make new versions everytime Apple brings out a new software update?

I do appologise if this is an extremley nooby question but I just want to make sure I know about everything before 'taking the plunge'.

Ewan.
Hey! Welcome to the forum! Netbookinstaller and Netbootmaker are the magic that allows OSX to work on the 10v..... and no, 10.6.2 is a special case, you do not have to wait for someone (melkort) to make a new version everytime a new version of OSX comes out...

Cheers!

(#30) Old

Default 12-17-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-e-G-i View Post

A couple more questions I need cleared up. What is the 'Combo Update'? What is 'Chameleon'?
Good questions! In non-geekspeak, it's what allows OSX to work on non-apple hardware.... when you get your Mini 10v, let me know and I'll walk you through installing via AIM