Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Post Guide: Install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on your brand new Mini 10v - 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM

Sorry all, I have decided to discontinue this guide for a while.... I'll come back to it in a while but for now, just use MechDrew's guide .... it's the same thing but better.... I'll try to continue support in this thread.... thanks all!

Oh.... and check this out! It is a good explanation of upgrading 10.6.2
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Since I had a hard time finding a guide like this, I decided to write one...
Please feel free to add/criticize/correct me on stuff.... this is meant to be a crowdsourced guide. If people like it, I may do one for the Mini 9 too...

What you will need:
1. A Dell Mini 10v, any type, any OS, any anything..... but it MUST be a 10v (at least for this guide)
2. A retail copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.0 .... dont wory, if you bought it from Apple or frys or your local computer store, it'll be 10.6.0) .... the $30 or $50 one will work perfectly....not an OEM version (an upgrade version that came with your Mac)
3. A 8GB or bigger USB storage device with nothing on it..... an external hard drive will work, a flash drive will work, any kind of USB storage will work as long as it's 8GB or bigger and is completely erased (you technically could work around that but better safe than sorry)
4. NetBootMaker 0.8.3 RC4 for Mac (you can find it HERE)
5. Power cord that came with your Mini
6. Patience

Let's go!

Step 1. Plug your Mini in (I know, stupid but SUPER necessary if you don't want your Mini to become a paperweight)
Step 2. Turn on your Mini and hold down F2.... it should open into your BIOS..... check to make sure you have A05 or lower! Now double check. If you have A06, then check out this
Step 2.5. While your at it, check to make sure USB BIOS legacy support and Bluetooth are on.
Step 3. Go on over to your real Mac (or your friends borrowed one) and put the Snow Leopard disc in. Wait. Count to 15 then count backwards.
Step 4. Go to Disc Utility.
Step 5. Put your flash drive (or any other USB storage device) in.
Step 6. Wait. Count to 5 then count backwards.
Step 7. Select your flash drive (or any other blah blah blah) from the list on the left
Step 8. On the right panel, click that little partion button
Step 9. From the dropdown, hit 1 partion, then hit options, then select Master Boot Record, and hit apply. Once this is done, move on to step 10.
Step 10. Hit restore.
Step 11. Drag Mac OSX Install from the left panel over to the source text input.
Step 12. Hit restore. Count to 5 bajilion. Once you are done (or it is done, move on to Step 13.)
Step 13. Open NetBootMaker.... select your partion from the little dropdown thingy and hit gooooooooooo!
Step 14. Wait till it's done, shutdown your Mini, safely eject your USB flash drive (blah blah blah)
Step 15. Put your flash drive into your Mini. Good job!
Step 16. Boot up your Mini while holding down F2. Go down to USB Storage and hit enter
Step 17. Hit F10.
Step 18. Here we go! Your Mini should boot into an Apple logo. If you see a pinwheel, wait 30-45 minutes before panicking.
Step 19. The first thing you need to do is format your HHD. Bring up Disk Utility in the installer select it at the highest level possible. Go to "Partition" and make it a single Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) partition. Before hitting Apply, go to Options and select GUID Partition Table. Then hit apply. (Yes this was borrowed from Gizmodo because I didn't feel like retyping it in my own words.)
Step 20. Yay! You should go into your Desktop! Now download NetBookInstaller 0.8.3 RC4 AND NetBookInstaller 0.8.2 (aplha) onto the Mini.
Step 21. Run NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 (alpha) and have it generate the dsdt.aml file. Then exit NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 and run 0.8.3 RC4.
Step 22. Hit the Apple logo at the top left, Software Update, then update..... once it wants you to install, install but when it tells you to restart DO NOT RESTART!!!
Step 23. Run NetBookInstaller AGAIN.
Step 24. Restart.
Step 25. Everything should work. YAY!
Step 26. Donate!!!
Step 27. Have fun!

What'd I miss? What should I add/remove? Thanks!

Will (frasierman)

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my guide for installing SL 10.6.2 on your brand new Dell Mini 10v!
  (#2) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Look like easy ! Just received my Mini10v 10 minutes ago, will convert it soon to MacOsX -the Dell mini10v is my first personnal PC ever- !

Oh, if you can add link to NetBookmaker and NetBookInstaller (and wich version are you using at each step, as it seems that sometime you need different version...).

Not yet opened my 10v
  (#3) Old

Default Also going to do this today. - 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Hello,
I will be doing this process today. I have a couple of places I found information from.

Here is the link with the applications you will need:

Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code

I found info in this thread about the version. I need to verify the version of install that is on the disk I purchased from frys. I think it is 10.6.2. If it is I think you have to use the version 0.8.3 RC4:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...-official.html

Information there says:
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Someone needs to edit the first post of this thread and note that 0.8.2 is only good for up to 10.6.1 and that it doesn't work with 10.6.2.

To fix your problem you'll need to update your install media (DVD or USB stick) with NBM 0.8.3 RC4 and then run it or NBI 0.8.3 RC4 on your OS X installation. That will fix things and get you working again.

Steps:
update boot media w/ 0.8.3 R4 (and add NBI 0.8.3 RC4 to it although I believe that NBM does that, just make sure it does)
boot with that updated media
run NBI from the boot disc (which will be version 0.8.3 RC now) and apply it to your installed OS X. Pick at least Chameleon, extensions and create dsdt.aml
reboot to your normal install, all should be good

Of course if you're stuck with your mini as your only Mac I'm not sure what you can do, sorry, the above obviously requires a working Mac install

I am a little confused in Frasiermans instructions at step 22. He says to run software update. Is this to bring the software up to 10.6.2? I assume the pc needs to be hooked up to the internet to pull the updates down? If the retail disc already has 10.6.2 on it does this step need to be done or can it be skipped?

Gizmodo's article about the process with screen shots. I think Frasierman's instructions follow the same process. I don't know if you still need to update the touch pad and screen resolution issue if you are using the new 0.8.3 RC4?

How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook - Dell mini 10v hackintosh - Gizmodo

Thanks to everyone for all of the information!
  (#4) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM

I don't know if there is RETAIL DVD of SL 10.6.2. I bought mine last week (for my Macbook) and got a 10.6.0 from Apple.

i'm curious about the upgrade process: with the Apple Tool Software Upgrade , MacOsX will download the upgrade, then ask for reboot. If you do not accept the reboot, upgrade will not be installed. So, if you apply BEFORE rebooting NetBookInstaller, it will be done BEFORE upgrade, and the Mini will not reboot, I think...

Or may be you need to install the COMBO UPDATE (wich, even on a real Mac is preferable than thru the Apple Software Updater).
  (#5) Old

Default Interesting. - 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM

I wonder if anyone has a list of what version of the NBM and NBI need to be run with the version of MAC OS you have? That would help. I did a little searching but there are a lot of threads. I down graded my Bios to A04 and now just need to figure out what version of the NBM and NBI I need to run and when to run them in the whole process. Does anyone know if you still need to do the mouse and resolution hack in Gizmodo's article if you are running the NBM and NBI?

Thanks for your help.
  (#6) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernet View Post
Look like easy ! Just received my Mini10v 10 minutes ago, will convert it soon to MacOsX -the Dell mini10v is my first personnal PC ever- !

Oh, if you can add link to NetBookmaker and NetBookInstaller (and wich version are you using at each step, as it seems that sometime you need different version...).

Not yet opened my 10v
OK! Good luck! I'll add those ASAP!

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnerdchris View Post
Hello,
I will be doing this process today. I have a couple of places I found information from.

Here is the link with the applications you will need:

Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code

I found info in this thread about the version. I need to verify the version of install that is on the disk I purchased from frys. I think it is 10.6.2. If it is I think you have to use the version 0.8.3 RC4:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...-official.html

Information there says:
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Someone needs to edit the first post of this thread and note that 0.8.2 is only good for up to 10.6.1 and that it doesn't work with 10.6.2.

To fix your problem you'll need to update your install media (DVD or USB stick) with NBM 0.8.3 RC4 and then run it or NBI 0.8.3 RC4 on your OS X installation. That will fix things and get you working again.

Steps:
update boot media w/ 0.8.3 R4 (and add NBI 0.8.3 RC4 to it although I believe that NBM does that, just make sure it does)
boot with that updated media
run NBI from the boot disc (which will be version 0.8.3 RC now) and apply it to your installed OS X. Pick at least Chameleon, extensions and create dsdt.aml
reboot to your normal install, all should be good

Of course if you're stuck with your mini as your only Mac I'm not sure what you can do, sorry, the above obviously requires a working Mac install

I am a little confused in Frasiermans instructions at step 22. He says to run software update. Is this to bring the software up to 10.6.2? I assume the pc needs to be hooked up to the internet to pull the updates down? If the retail disc already has 10.6.2 on it does this step need to be done or can it be skipped?

Gizmodo's article about the process with screen shots. I think Frasierman's instructions follow the same process. I don't know if you still need to update the touch pad and screen resolution issue if you are using the new 0.8.3 RC4?

How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook - Dell mini 10v hackintosh - Gizmodo

Thanks to everyone for all of the information!
If you purchased a Snow Leopard DVD, then it will be 10.6.0 (if it has 10.6.2, I would suggest buying it directly from Apple because I'm not quite sure how it would work with a retail disc having 10.6.2 .... I'll do some more research)
NetbookInstaller RC4 includes all the stuff that Gizmodo had plus more....

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

OK guys.... thanks for the overwhelming response! I will add lots more when I get a chance latter today! I just checked all your questions and need to do a little bit more research before replying.... the guide will defiantly be fixed/updated by tonight!

(#7) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the update frasierman! Looking at the disk it only says 10.6 Retail on it. It probably is 10.6.0. Would it be safe to use the 0.8.2 and then once I upgrade to 10.6.2, I will use 0.8.3 RC4? I was looking at the info I found above:
0.8.2 is only good for up to 10.6.1 and that it doesn't work with 10.6.2.

Or can 0.8.3 RC4 be used for all version? 10.6.0, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2? I really want to get my Mini 10v up today. I can hold off on the upgrade to 10.6.2 until we hear back from you.

Thanks for all of your help!

(#8) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM

0.8.3RC4 works with all versions. The downside is that it has a minor bug that requires you to use 0.8.2 to generate the dsdt.aml file. I built my USB device with 0.8.3RC4 and just copied 0.8.2 over to the device to generate the file with. Let software update install 10.6.2, then boot with your USB device, when the menu at the top shows up, click "Utilities" you should find NetbookInstaller in there. Run it and it will fix 10.6.2 so it can boot again.

So install with NBM 0.8.3RC4. After booting up, run NBI 0.8.2 with only "Generate dsdt.aml" checked. Run NBI 0.8.3RC4 again, defaults should be fine. Reboot and you're good to go. If you install 10.6.2, you might get a boot loop, just boot from your USB with 0.8.3RC4 and re-run NBI from the menu. When it says it's done, reboot the system and you should be running.

Once the next version of NBI is released, you don't need to worry about the older version. They say it will have this problem fixed.
  (#9) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM

OK everyone.... I unfortunately have stuff going on till about 9:30 (EST) so I won't have time to update the thread/read your questions until then BUT

1. I will be walking people through installing 10.6.2 on your 10v in realtime and answering questions in realtime HERE at 9:30 PM EST.... it should be alot of fun and will be a great place to ask questions / clarify / help people / share success stories / etc.
2. I will be updating this guide, adding an FAQ section, adding links, and answering all your in-forum questions around 9:30 too so if you can't make it to the realtime walkthrough, don't wory.
3. On or around Christmas when I will be getting my 2nd 10v, I will livestream my install + record it, put it on YouTube, and of course, post it here

Thanks for all the support! And remember to come HERE at 9:30 (8:30 central time)!

(#10) Old

Default Faster way to install with A06 ??? - 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Just a though.... You may be able to install a 10.6.2 on a Mini10v with A06 or more bios:

You need all the tool previously mentionned, plus a USB external HD and a Mac.

-Plug the HD on the Mac, boot on the SL DVD.
-Install SL on the USB disk
-reboot the Mac on the USB disk
-upgrade to 10.6.2,
-get Carbon Copy Cloner
-run NetBookInstaller/NetBookMaker on the USB drive
-shutdown the Mac,
-plug the USB Drive on the Mini
-boot from this USB Disk
-format internal Mini's HD (MacOsX may be not journaled for a faster copy)
- Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy from the USB driver to internal HD

I used this tool to restore some Macintosh...

May this process work ?