FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#11) Old
Guru

Default 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM

The Apple license is purchased when you purchase the disc. You can't purchase it after the fact. I would doubt that you would buy the retail disc after you get it running.

If you want to be legit, buy the disc, the methods used here work. 95% or better of the issues people have are from using the older and obsolete methods. Follow the guides, and if you can't figure something out, ask, we will help you. With the new NetbookInstaller method, this is a really simple process. I would even say it is easier than loading XP on the mini, it is definitely a faster installation.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#12) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM

You cannot buy just a license. Right now, your options are to purchase a single license disc, a disc with a family pack (that's five licenses) or a bundle that includes iLife. If you intend on buying a copy of OS X (which you should), there is no reason to not buy the disc first.
  (#13) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyG View Post
... The viability of this forum and the processes supported here are based on an assumption that Apple will not sue individuals using their software for personal purposes. For this reason, we have asked that members of this forum do not sell Dell Mini 9s with OS X pre-installed, as this may call undue attention to the community.

To summarize, we have had this discussion before and have decided that buying a retail disc is the right thing to do. This is an expectation for participating in this forum and all individuals have the right to choose to comply with this community standard or to not join the community....
Thanks for this thread, CyG!

I agree wholeheartedly with your assertion. I truly believe Apple doesn't really care if a few thousand DELL Minis are running OS X as long as these owners have bought a bona-fide, retail version of it. They do care to notice when Minis are sold for profit with OS X running on them or if folks are pirating OS X or profiting by doing the same.

Of course Apple knows how popular the Hackintosh community has become. However, I think they are satisfied the majority of us are simply Apple enthusiasts. I believe most people running OS X on the Minis have spent plenty of money on Apple products over the years and will have the propensity to do so in the future. It's those who want something for nothing or those who seek to make a profit at Apple's expense, or those who blatantly violate intellectual property rights that are generally the receiving end of those cease and desist letters and lawsuits.

Otherwise, I'm very grateful Apple chooses to look the other way on the quaint verbiage in the EULAs. I, too, hope that the Psystar case will set some legal precedent and that OS X will eventually be available for legal install on non-Apple hardware.

Kevin
  (#14) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
The Apple license is purchased when you purchase the disc. You can't purchase it after the fact. I would doubt that you would buy the retail disc after you get it running.

If you want to be legit, buy the disc, the methods used here work. 95% or better of the issues people have are from using the older and obsolete methods. Follow the guides, and if you can't figure something out, ask, we will help you. With the new NetbookInstaller method, this is a really simple process. I would even say it is easier than loading XP on the mini, it is definitely a faster installation.
Thanks for all the help. Just so you know, I would in fact buy the disc after the fact because I don't believe in piracy but I do believe in the shareware concept of try-b4-u-buy. At any rate, I'll get a disc and give it a try.

Is there a "best" tutorial here on the forums?
  (#15) Old
Guru

Default 07-06-2009, 09:29 PM

I understand your rational, it is a big chunk of change for an OS, but it works great, and if you need to reinstall in the future, you will have your disc and not need to bug your friend. OS X on the mini works great, I would say it runs as well as on a Apple Mini, if you have ever used one.

I am partial to the mechdrew guide here-

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...fi-method.html

however, it depends on what hardware you have to work with, if you will be using a DVD drive, or USB, and if you have a Mac or PC to use to make your boot disk/USB drive.

You might prefer the NetBookInstaller method here-

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...-released.html

if I was going to do a fresh install, I would probably use this method, as it is pretty much automated, it is only 6 days old or so, but I hear good things.

Again, these methods, and others are tested and work. Follow whichever guide you choose to the letter, and everything should work fine. If it doesn't, post for help, just post which method you used, and you should get plenty of help.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#16) Old

Default 07-07-2009, 02:17 AM

Thank you.
  (#17) Old

Default 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
I would even say it is easier than loading XP on the mini, it is definitely a faster installation.
I would agree with this seeing that you can't (or at least its very difficult) to load XP with a flash drive and then you still have to install drivers.
  (#18) Old

Smile 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocci View Post
I would agree with this seeing that you can't (or at least its very difficult) to load XP with a flash drive and then you still have to install drivers.
I see. Well I have Win 7 on the Mini now and it goes on slick and runs like a champ so I hope I'm making a step up.