Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Wi-Fi Problems. Why? - 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM

I have a Dell Vostro A90 and have gotten through the steps in the Mac OS X installation outlined on these websites. I get stuck at these steps:

Installing Mac OS X on a Dell Mini 9 ?┬*the easy way (Updated 3x) | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com Step 7
How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 9 Into the Ultimate OS X Netbook - Dell mini 9 hackintosh guide - Gizmodo Step 15

I can't get Wi-Fi to work. I have followed the instructions in Steps 7 and 15 on the websites, by typing -f to load the .kext files for webcam, wi-fi, bluetooth etc. The machine boots up, but there is no wi-fi. I do have Bluetooth working. Can't see any airport options in Network Preferences either. I have tried and re-tried typing -f at that prompt. What is wrong here? Any advice, please? I hate to put Linux back on here because I can't get wireless to work (

Please help me. Thank you.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Read and follow one of the Guides. Make sure you're using a retail disc. If you have problems with an up-to-date guide we actually support, post again.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default 09-29-2009, 10:57 AM

So which version of OSX work perfectly with mini9? Can I just use 10.5.6 without updating it to 10.5.7??

and can I install linux softwares in osx? like ssh, xchat, openoffice, etc??

and does iwork come with osx? where to download?
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin911 View Post
So which version of OSX work perfectly with mini9? Can I just use 10.5.6 without updating it to 10.5.7??
OSX 10.5.6 works nicely (Leopard)
OSX 10.6.1 also works nicely (Snow Leopard)

Quote:
SSH is built into OSX and you can install Open Office

Quote:
and does iwork come with osx? where to download?
No... and you cannot download it, this is a paid piece of software and you would need to purchase it.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#5) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You can install loads of linux stuff with a simple ./configure.sh and make install. You'll need to install the developer tools first (to get gcc, make, etc) - part of the install discs, but probably better to download from Apple to get the latest version.

However, it's much easier to install macports, which is a package management system. Then it's as easy as typing "port install whatever" which also takes care of installing dependencies, lets you check for newer versions, etc.

I also think it's good practice that if you're going to want to customise already installed stuff (like PHP, Perl, etc) to use macports to install that. That way you know that anything you do isn't going to break the standard OSX install.

Tags
wi-fi