General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Exclamation A Helpful Forum - 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM

With the holiday season coming up, this forum will no doubt see a flood of new members, most of whom will have doubt ask the same [s:3lo38sxs]stupid[/s:3lo38sxs] rudimentary questions. While I'm sure everyone here would rather discuss technical questions over etiquette, now is the perfect time to have a discussion over how we want this forum to run. This is a very helpful and active forum and to prevent becoming negative or unproductive, we should address the following issues:

1. Do we support installations other the the EFI bootloader and vanilla install? If not, how do we treat people with problems stemming from their Windistro/iDeneb/bootlegged OS?

2. What will be the preferred method to answer previously addressed questions? As I mentioned earlier, this problem is only going to get worse after black Friday and X-mas, so we need to figure out a system now. Do we need more stickies and tutorials? Do we need to close out unproductive threads?

3. How do we share our work? Is our current thread structure sufficiently clear. Is the latest work on one topic all in one place, or even in one forum?

Thank you to all the members of this forum that have made my Mac Mini so enjoyable and easy to use. I hope we can have a productive discussion on how the next wave of users can have as positive experience.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#2) Old

Default Re: A Helpful Forum - 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyG
1. Do we support installations other the the EFI bootloader and vanilla install? If not, how do we treat people with problems stemming from their Windistro/iDeneb/bootlegged OS?
I personally see no reason to do it the "old" way. I've been playing with osx86 installs since the Dead-moo image first hit the scene, believe me, there is no better way. Also, I personally own a few Mac's, and a few hackintosh's. I think its only right for people to purchase the retail DVD. If you want to run the OS because you think its superior, then pay for it and support the company that makes it. Just my 2 cents on that one though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyG
2. What will be the preferred method to answer previously addressed questions? As I mentioned earlier, this problem is only going to get worse after black Friday and X-mas, so we need to figure out a system now. Do we need more stickies and tutorials? Do we need to close out unproductive threads?
I think the sticky/announcement style posts are best. Preferably locked, so they only have a single post that can be updated by the owner.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: A Helpful Forum - 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM

I think nearly every active poster on this board feels that the only proper way to go is Type11's. The question is how we respond to people using other questionable methods.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: A Helpful Forum - 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM

Not much to worry about, I've been the moderator of the Mac OS X section of this forum since it was created. When things get too mean spirited I start deleting posts and sending warning messages. iDeneb is a "acceptable" install method, as we have a walk through, and it doesn't break a dozen things that have no reason to get broken. Whereas the Wind installer does, it needs half of it's kexts replaced for no apparent reason. As for how the people who DID use the Wind method and come here for support, it seems to have worked out just fine so far. We politely point out that that method is the cause of their problems, sometimes we're able to solve the problem. And generally as soon as they either work out the problem, or move on to a new distro, I lock the thread to prevent filling the forum full of posts about a method that is better left ignored, since it's so problematic.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED