General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default mini 10v external screen and wakeup from sleep - 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM

ok ive recently upgraded to osx SL. im trying to connect my 10v to a 32" HD screen but every time i plug in the vga cable, the netbook freezes!

i read somewhere on here that you have to put it to sleep then wake it from sleep and then plug in vga cabel and it works.

the problem im having is that once my netbook goes to sleep it doesnt wake up and i have to hold the power button to turn off and power back on again

any ideas?

thanks
  (#2) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 03-31-2010, 04:40 AM

Yes, if you don't sleep the machine once before you plug in an external display it will hang and the only way back is to power down and reboot. Frustrating, but something that's been around for a long time and is rumored to be an apple issue and not specific to the hackintosh community.

As for not sleeping, your reported behavior sounds like you don't have legacy USB turned off in the BIOS. Sleep no work with legacy turned on.
  (#3) Old

Default 04-01-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
Yes, if you don't sleep the machine once before you plug in an external display it will hang and the only way back is to power down and reboot. Frustrating, but something that's been around for a long time and is rumored to be an apple issue and not specific to the hackintosh community.

As for not sleeping, your reported behavior sounds like you don't have legacy USB turned off in the BIOS. Sleep no work with legacy turned on.
spot on!

but im only getting vertical lines on the tv and my dell
  (#4) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM

the vertical lines are also well known and reported in many places here. To fix:

1: boot up, sleep, unsleep your mini to the point where you are ready to plug in the external monitor

2: open a terminal window (Utilities -> terminal)

3: type in "mirroring off" and hit enter. If the command is not there, you have to go find it, but I think that the latest NBI's installs it. If it is there, nothing should happen.

4: type in "mirroring off" but don't hit enter. plug in the external display, wait for the vertical lines. Then hit enter.

you are done

for some reason when the netbook sees a monitor that it hasn't seen before, it goes back into mirroring mode which messes up the display. the only way to turn it off is to use a trick like above. Once you do it, that display is "good for life" in that you'll never have to do that again, but you may have to do it again with another display or projector.

enjoy