General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM

I send my praise and gratitude to the creators of Boot123 and DellEFI. I have a new lease on life with my tiny Mini with Leopard.

What would be really great is if there was some way to set up the Mini so that it thinks that it is an Airport Express. If so, it could send a signal to remote speakers as if it were an Airport Express. Please understand that I have no idea if this is possible. But, I can still dream, can't I?

Thanks again to all of you for your tireless efforts!

djsprat
  (#2) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 03-29-2009, 06:56 PM

This would do the trick: http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
  (#3) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 03-29-2009, 07:15 PM

This is decidedly not the same as what you're looking for, but you can use SimplifyMedia to access your itunes collection stored on another PC/Mac.

Refurbished Cherry Red mini 9, 2 GB, RunCore 16 GB SSD; Bluetooth, 1.3 MP Webcam;
Mac OS X 10.6.7; NBI 20100616212351; BIOS A04, USB Legacy off
  (#4) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 03-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Robotronic26's suggestion - use AirFoil - is, sadly, the closest you're going to get right now. Jon Johansson ("DVD Jon") has cracked the DRM necessary to send audio streams to an Airport Express, but so far no one has cracked the bit necessary to receive streams intended for an Express, so there's no way to make any kind of computer other than an Express show up in iTunes' "remote speakers" selections.

That said, Airfoil does work fairly well and will let you turn any Windows, Linux, or Mac box into a set of speakers, but it costs money and the audio stream sending app does eat a bit of resources.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 04-02-2009, 08:44 PM

If you share your itunes library, you can wirelessly listen to anything you have running on your other computer, therefore making it do the same thing that airport express can.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM

mojo is what you need. Fast, works across internet, and free
http://deusty.com/software/mac.php

Dell mini 9 - OS X 10.6.2 NBI 0.8.3RC5
16Gb SSD, 2Gb RAM
1.3mp webcam
  (#7) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 04-03-2009, 01:25 AM

I think the main advantage of Airfoil for this sort of thing is that you can setup multiple remote computers and the audio from all of them will be in sync with the music playing on the source computer, so for example you can listen to your tunes throughout your house as you walk around, not just near whichever computer is playing at the moment.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: iTunes Challenge - Mini as remote speaker - 04-18-2009, 05:42 AM

I have AIrfoil, but I have not tried to have one computer stream to another computer. I will have to see if that is possible. As was mentioned, I want to hear the same music throughout the house. I can easily access my iTunes library from anywhere because I have an HP home server that gives me that kind of access, but that doesn't stream audio everywhere. I already have three Airport Extremes set up that cover most of the house, but it would be great if the Mini could be a fourth station. I was just speculating about whether it would be possible and I appreciate everyone's thoughts.