Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default No Operating system found - 10-09-2009, 03:09 AM

I followed the guide where you install SL on a hardrive in an external enclosure. I put it in my Mini 10v with 2gb ram bios A05. When I rebooted I got the message. "Operating System Not Found" What did I do wrong?
  (#2) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 03:46 AM

Is the drive listed in the BIOS? Perhaps you didn't seat the drive all the way when you reinstalled it into the chassis.

Otherwise, somehow you failed to make the drive bootable. Take the drive out, put it back into the enclosure and run netbook installer on the drive, making sure install chameleon bootloader is selected.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#3) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 03:47 AM

Did you run NetbookInstaller on the drive before putting it back in the mini 10v?

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#4) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 03:50 AM

No, I thought I was supposed to run that after I put it back in the mini

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Which version of netbookinstaller should I use?
  (#5) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 03:53 AM

0.8.3 rc3.

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

IMPORTANT:
  • Don't generate a DSDT on the mac, leave that for the mini. Install the Chameleon bit.
    Make sure you point the NBI at your external drive, not your Mac HDD!!!

If in doubt, follow your instructions, not my rushed advice!

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#6) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 03:55 AM

Get into the bootloader at boot using ur netbookmaker usb key or whatever, make sure ur starting from the right drive from there
  (#7) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote View Post
I followed the guide where you install SL on a hardrive in an external enclosure. I put it in my Mini 10v with 2gb ram bios A05. When I rebooted I got the message. "Operating System Not Found" What did I do wrong?
I have the same bios and used the same method and had zero issues. You must have done something wrong.

Remove HD and connect to MAC
Format the Mini HD (GUID, 1 Partition)
Install SL to HD
Reboot into the Mini HD from your Mac
Conduct all updates
Install NBM while it is still connected to your MAC then shut down (not restart)
Reinstall HD in Mini
Start the Mini
Press F2 at the Dell Logo
Adjust your Bios settings
Save and exit Bios
Continue with bootup
Install NBI from the Mini

Did you do that?

Dell Mini 10v • Mac OSX 10.6.2 • 1 GB RAM • 160GB HDD • BIOS A05 • Blue Tooth • 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#8) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM

I tried to install NBM but I received an error message can't remember exactly what it said. But I remember somewhere in another post that when you used this method it wasn't necessary to run NBM only NBI so I didn't think it was a big deal. Where can I find the latest versions of NBI and NBI, so I can reinstall them?
  (#9) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote View Post
I tried to install NBM but I received an error message can't remember exactly what it said. But I remember somewhere in another post that when you used this method it wasn't necessary to run NBM only NBI so I didn't think it was a big deal. Where can I find the latest versions of NBI and NBI, so I can reinstall them?
Yeah, I remember asking the question after the fact, and was told by the experts that NBM wasn't necessary if you have the OS installed on the HD. I personally have not tried installing without it (using external drive method on a MAC) so I don't know...maybe there is something to running NBM on the drive.

You can get NBM 8.2 here:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...-official.html

and I would use NBI 8.3RC3 here:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...3-testing.html

Let us know how it goes, and remember to follow the directions to the "T".

Dell Mini 10v • Mac OSX 10.6.2 • 1 GB RAM • 160GB HDD • BIOS A05 • Blue Tooth • 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#10) Old

Default 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM

What computer are you using to install snow leopard to the external drive? What operating system (10.4,10.5,etc)?

NBM is only used to create bootable USB drives. If you're using a mac to install OSx onto the mini's drive in an external enclosure you'll go through the installation process, reboot the mac into OSX (the copy on its local drive, not the copy you just installed onto the external drive), and run netbook installer targeted on the external drive leaving generate system specific DSDT unchecked. Put the drive back into the mini. When you see the chameleon bootloader screen just after the Dell logo splash screen press the space bar and type -x and hit enter. This will boot into safe mode, rerun netbook installer with dsdt checked this time, reboot, all should be well.

http://code.google.com/p/netbook-ins...downloads/list

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7