Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default 2 months, casing separating - 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM

Got a shock this morning to see the casing on my Streak separating along the top (button) edge! It lives in a rubber Otterbox case except when I'm sitting at my desk at work and I just sit it on top of the case. As soon as I go anywhere it gets slipped back in. This phone has been looked after, so I could hardly believe when I saw this gap between the top of the glass and the casing. In effect there's now a 'hump' between the power and camera buttons where it's lifted. It was a definite case of 'not there yesterday, there today', as I would've noticed it. I'll get a photo when I can. Anyone else having anything similar?
  (#2) Old

Default 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmer View Post
Got a shock this morning to see the casing on my Streak separating along the top (button) edge! It lives in a rubber Otterbox case except when I'm sitting at my desk at work and I just sit it on top of the case. As soon as I go anywhere it gets slipped back in. This phone has been looked after, so I could hardly believe when I saw this gap between the top of the glass and the casing. In effect there's now a 'hump' between the power and camera buttons where it's lifted. It was a definite case of 'not there yesterday, there today', as I would've noticed it. I'll get a photo when I can. Anyone else having anything similar?
This has been reported before, suggestions have ranged from applying pressure to put it back in place to sending it back for repair.

Being a bit ham fisted, and recognising that makes it likely that I'd break it if I tried, I'd send it in for repair.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester61 View Post
This has been reported before, suggestions have ranged from applying pressure to put it back in place to sending it back for repair.

Being a bit ham fisted, and recognising that makes it likely that I'd break it if I tried, I'd send it in for repair.

Thanks for the reply. The bit that's lifted is actually quite firm and seems like it would take a reasonable force to get back into place. But it doesn't make sense to me to force it back into place as it didn't take force to separate it in the first place. I will call the place I bought it today, not holding out for much joy.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Sorry I never got back with that photo. It's gotten a lot worse, with quite a long strip separating now. Anyway I took it into the store I bought it and after evaluation they determined there was 'physical damage' to the phone (i.e. that I had caused, which is simply not correct), and my tough luck. Hopefully I can get some joy through Dell.

If anyone else has had this problem, or directly knows someone who has (or has a forum link or something) please let me know, as this might help my case greatly! Thanks.

@Fester61, any links to previous report(s) of this issue? Thanks again.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-10-2011, 12:24 AM

I don't think Dell will do anything, afaik they still aren't fixing any of these phones and claiming physical abuse or customer damage in most cases.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM

I have had 4 streaks and it happened to 2 of them,like a warping on the outer case right in front of the camera button,the first time it was puzzling, there one day and gone the next. But it happened again when I first recieved my latest streak,this time after a few days I found it quite simple to just snap it back in with ease.but like yourself I tresure my streak and know for a fact I never caused this to happen..it is in my mind a fault which lucky hasnt occured again....
  (#7) Old

Default 03-13-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo77 View Post
I have had 4 streaks and it happened to 2 of them,like a warping on the outer case right in front of the camera button,the first time it was puzzling, there one day and gone the next. But it happened again when I first recieved my latest streak,this time after a few days I found it quite simple to just snap it back in with ease.but like yourself I tresure my streak and know for a fact I never caused this to happen..it is in my mind a fault which lucky hasnt occured again....
Thanks for the info, it all helps.
  (#8) Old

Default 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM

Doesn't Dell provide 2 years warranty in the States?

In Australia, only one Telco has been given rights to deal with the Streak, and that is Optus (Singtel). Yes form Singapore.

But when one takes out a plan on a Streak, - which is over 2 years, the device is guaranteed for those 2 years.

I am not sure whether that comes from Dell or Optus.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Doesn't Dell provide 2 years warranty in the States?

In Australia, only one Telco has been given rights to deal with the Streak, and that is Optus (Singtel). Yes form Singapore.

But when one takes out a plan on a Streak, - which is over 2 years, the device is guaranteed for those 2 years.

I am not sure whether that comes from Dell or Optus.
Well, I bought it outright, no plan. 2 years is too long for my liking. As I said, Optus determined that I had physically damaged the phone. Maybe that's their way of getting out of repairing it when you're not under contract with them. A guy there implied that to me.