General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Mac OS partitioning after install - 01-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Hi guys,
This will probably be a stupid question, but better safe then sorry...
So, currently I have 10.6.2 installed on my 10v, and the whole 160 GB disk is set up as a single partition. However, I would like to at least split it in two, so if something happens to my system at least my data would be safe. So, my question is, would I be able to simply use Disk Utilities to make a new partition, without messing SL up? Is there anything special I should do, like running NBI again after that?
And another thing, is there some easy way to move my home folder to the new partition, or should I simply copy it and all the links in finder would continue to work?

Thanx in advance,
Boyan

Mini 10v (1011) - SL 10.6.3 - 1 GB RAM - A06 BIOS

My Dropbox referral: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQzNTE0Mjg5
We both get 250 MB extra if you use it
  (#2) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM

almost in the same situation as you. I created a dual boot and am need to gain more hd space to my OSX partition. Bump for you and hopefully an answer that will solve both of ours

MacBook Mini---Black Dell Mini 10v
OS X 10.6.4 / Windows 7 Home Premium
2 GB Ram, 250gb HD, BT
SD card booting full installs of Jolicloud, Android, and XBMC
Mini 9 OS X 10.6.2 2gb Ram 16 SSD BT Mini 9 OS X 10.6.2 2gb Ram 16 SSD
  (#3) Old

Default 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teameurox View Post
almost in the same situation as you. I created a dual boot and am need to gain more hd space to my OSX partition. Bump for you and hopefully an answer that will solve both of ours
Use Boot Camp to dynamically partition, and just cancel the process after the partition & before the Windows install.

Then use Disk Utility to format the new partition as OS X, and that should do you!

Disk utility can't dynamically resize partitions, as far as I know - but Boot Camp can.

Mark

PS I've not done this myself, so make sure you have a backup - but it works on a 'real' Mac
  (#4) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Disk Utility does/can do "real time" disk editing/partition adding. No need to fool around with Boot Camp.

Open Disk Utility, click your drive, click the partition tab, click the "+" button below the diagram of your drive. Resize the new partition to the size you want, format it as whatever you like, click apply. Voilla, instant partition.

As long as you're not installing another OS, you can make as many partitions as you like and not have to worry about NBI.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by teameurox View Post
What you'll want to do is check out a program like CampTune.
  (#5) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=Side.Step.Society;138719]Disk Utility does/can do "real time" disk editing/partition adding. No need to fool around with Boot Camp.

Open Disk Utility, click your drive, click the partition tab, click the "+" button below the diagram of your drive. Resize the new partition to the size you want, format it as whatever you like, click apply. Voilla, instant partition.

As long as you're not installing another OS, you can make as many partitions as you like and not have to worry about NBI.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Ok, that worked nicely, but I still have problems moving my home dir to the new partition. What I did is copy my home folder to the new drive, then in system preferences I chose the new copied folder as the destination for my home directory in my user account. I was prompted to reboot, but after I did it, my desktop wallpaper was gone, my dock settings were gone, my menu bar settings were gone, there were icons on the dock that I had previously removed etc.. My trackpad settings were also lost...
I went into system preferences and undid my work and after reboot everything is OK.
Does anyone know what should i do so that I can move my home dir without those side effects?

(#6) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazarov View Post
However, I would like to at least split it in two, so if something happens to my system at least my data would be safe.
How would this make your data safe? If you have an HDD crash, all will be gone.

Better would be a backup to an external usb HDD, preferably a bootable backup.

Phil

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#7) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ox View Post
How would this make your data safe? If you have an HDD crash, all will be gone.

Better would be a backup to an external usb HDD, preferably a bootable backup.

Phil
By "safe" I was rather referring to a situation where I have to reinstall the OS for some reason and it would be easier to have my personal data unaffected by the process. It is actually a pretty standard procedure to have your home dir on another partition, and I've done it on all my linux or windows computers.
Backups are another story, and, of course, I have that covered .

(#8) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM

As far as moving your home directory goes, I haven't really looked into it, so we're both learning here. :P

Anyway, I'm not seeing any option in System Preferences for relocating the home folder... Have you installed an additional preference pane or something?

You may want to give this a read:

10.4: Move Users directory to another partition - Mac OS X Hints
  (#9) Old

Default 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side.Step.Society View Post
As far as moving your home directory goes, I haven't really looked into it, so we're both learning here. :P

Anyway, I'm not seeing any option in System Preferences for relocating the home folder... Have you installed an additional preference pane or something?

You may want to give this a read:

10.4: Move Users directory to another partition - Mac OS X Hints
Thanks, this guide worked. I followed Option 1, and only step 3 is a bit different. Since there's no longer a netinfo manager in SL, you have to use Preferences->Accounts and then escalate your privileges via the padlock, so you can right-click on your account and access the settings where you can specify the new location of the home folder. I did this the first time, but apparently not all files where copied and that's why I had lost my settings. Following this guide and using the ditto -rsrcFork seems to work well, I now have my Home folder on my DATA partition .

(#10) Old

Default 02-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you!