General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-25-2009, 01:57 AM

Hey guys,
I've got an 8Gb Mini coming on Monday or Tuesday next week. My plan is to run OSX exclusively, but I realize that I'm going to be tight on space. I have a 16Gb SDHC card which got me to thinking. Can I create two partitions on the SDHC card and mount them to /Users and /Applications on startup using a custom fstab? That would give me the 8Gb just for the OS and quite a bit more for Apps and "working" space.

I also thought about using symbolic links to accomplish the same thing.

Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-25-2009, 02:00 AM

You should be able to do a symlink (although it cant be a hard link, so just a soft link), however I wouldn't recommend it. The SD drivers are buggy and may make it so the sdhc card is unreadable.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-25-2009, 02:27 AM

Interesting, thanks for your quick reply. I didn't realize there were issues with the SD drivers. Would a USB drive have the same issues?
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-25-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodF4ther
Interesting, thanks for your quick reply. I didn't realize there were issues with the SD drivers. Would a USB drive have the same issues?
The problem with a usb drive, is whenever the mini goes to sleep, the usb devices get disconnected. I may look at it soon, but until then, it'll probably have some problems.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-25-2009, 08:17 PM

The problem I had when I tried this out was that the SDHC drive seemed to get mounted as part of the login process, which meant it was too late for my user settings to be read - so I ended up with the default user setup.

What I did instead was leave my Users on my SSD and move as much stuff off it as possible. Using Apple stuff where possible (like holding down alt at application launch time) and soft links where that wasn't possible.

I also set up an Applications directory on my SDHC and install pretty much everything there, to save space on my SSD.

One word of advice. If you move your Users off and soft link to it (which is what I do on all my Macs), move an administrator account into somewhere in the root directory (I usually put it in /Users2). So if everything goes pear-shaped with your /Users partition, you can at least still log in to your administrator account and try to sort things out.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-26-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
The problem I had when I tried this out was that the SDHC drive seemed to get mounted as part of the login process, which meant it was too late for my user settings to be read - so I ended up with the default user setup.
ian: Did you try the fstab method or just symlinks?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Move /Users & /Applications to SDHC using fstab? - 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM

You could use Lingon to add a mount command into the startup of the the system, not just when you log in. I don't have a Mini 9 yet, but this works on my Mac.

Dell mini 10v: N270, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, A03, no BT, OSX 10.6.1