Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth?) Fix to Problems after Installing - 03-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Enthused by the community around the Mini 10v and OS X I picked one up last week in the UK from Dixons and installed the OS on to it. Thanks to the install guides it was a piece of cake.

However, I couldn't get WiFi to work on my newly installed Mac OS X Dell Mini 10v. The Airport on button just wouldn't work.

I read the forums looking for what could have gone wrong and my heart sank. I realized what I had done wrong.

When I got the Mini 10v out of the box I powered it on, checked the BIOS with the guides (out of the box they were as they should have been, and I just had to promote USB above HDD) and exited into Windows. About the only thing I did in XP was to make some of the annoying bubbles disappear (Start Using Windows Here, This is The Taskbar, etc.)... AND I disabled WiFi (as I was getting a load of WiFi alerts). I didn't think anything of it. Then I powered down and set about installing Mac OS X.

Reading the forums I tried some of the suggested solutions. Disabling and then enabling WiFi in the BIOS didn't work. Deleting Airport, rebooting and re-adding didn't work either. Upgrading Airport through the various software updates didn't help.

I was grimacing at the thought of reinstalling Windows, that damned Dell WiFi utility, and then activating WiFi again, before redoing all my install work when I hit the solution.

Switch on, hit F2 to get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS (F9), then save and exit. Worked straight away!

I guess Dell's utility switches the WiFi off in a way that only Resetting worked (rather than Disable/Enable).

Hope this saves someone else the grief I had. I don't know if it's worth adding this info to any install guides?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM

I have mentioned this solution in a few threads here, but it is probably pretty hard to find. I think it would be worth adding to a FAQ that someone needs to compile.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#3) Old

Default I'm glad I found this tip! - 04-22-2010, 02:42 AM

I would definitely recommend it for a "tips and tricks" compilation!
Thanks!
  (#4) Old

Default 04-22-2010, 05:09 AM

Thanks for this.
  (#5) Old

Default 04-23-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxninja View Post
enthused by the community around the mini 10v and os x i picked one up last week in the uk from dixons and installed the os on to it. Thanks to the install guides it was a piece of cake.

However, i couldn't get wifi to work on my newly installed mac os x dell mini 10v. The airport on button just wouldn't work.

I read the forums looking for what could have gone wrong and my heart sank. I realized what i had done wrong.

When i got the mini 10v out of the box i powered it on, checked the bios with the guides (out of the box they were as they should have been, and i just had to promote usb above hdd) and exited into windows. About the only thing i did in xp was to make some of the annoying bubbles disappear (start using windows here, this is the taskbar, etc.)... And i disabled wifi (as i was getting a load of wifi alerts). I didn't think anything of it. Then i powered down and set about installing mac os x.

Reading the forums i tried some of the suggested solutions. Disabling and then enabling wifi in the bios didn't work. Deleting airport, rebooting and re-adding didn't work either. Upgrading airport through the various software updates didn't help.

I was grimacing at the thought of reinstalling windows, that damned dell wifi utility, and then activating wifi again, before redoing all my install work when i hit the solution.

Switch on, hit f2 to get into the bios, reset the bios (f9), then save and exit. Worked straight away!

I guess dell's utility switches the wifi off in a way that only resetting worked (rather than disable/enable).

Hope this saves someone else the grief i had. I don't know if it's worth adding this info to any install guides?
try to reset the bios into default setting

Dell Mini 10v | 2GB | OS X 10.6.6 |
  (#6) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 01:20 AM

thank you sir!
  (#7) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Holy Crap, thanks.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Tags
installation help, problem, solution, wifi