Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Unhappy Calling All Modders!!! - 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM

What's up people, just joined. Had my Mini 9 for a few months and it's helped me stay productive. Do any of you crazy modders know if it's possible to mod the Mini 9 with a firewire module? It would be awesome if there was a way to replace the single usb port on the right with a firewire port. So? How 'bout it? Anyone up to the challenge?

BTW, great site!! Looking forward to your responses.

Peace
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Calling All Modders!!! - 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM

That would indeed be awesome!

R
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Calling All Modders!!! - 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Well I'm pretty sure absolutely not because you'd have to add in hardware, have it compatible or a driver. Where'd you fit it?

There's also a $110 firewire-to-usb cable available windows only:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2454

There's a external hub with a firewire port you can get, but it said Mac Mini:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=199941

Besides that, I thought firewire is considered dead because it didn't provide much benefit over USB 2.0? USB 3.0 will blow it up completely!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Calling All Modders!!! - 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM

firewire is really good...and will beat USB 2 as USB does burst transfers...and firewire is streaming constant.

but you are right, firewire is mostly dead...mainly from it being not as popular and have as many uses as USB....

but then i really like e-SATA ports as they will kick both of those formats to the curb in transfers...

i doubt you can just add firewire port mainly due to the lack of instructions on the chipset

Wife's: Dell Mini 12/60gb/1.3mp webcam/BT/Windows 7 RC
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Calling All Modders!!! - 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx
Well I'm pretty sure absolutely not because you'd have to add in hardware, have it compatible or a driver. Where'd you fit it?

There's also a $110 firewire-to-usb cable available windows only:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2454

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=199941

Besides that, I thought firewire is considered dead because it didn't provide much benefit over USB 2.0? USB 3.0 will blow it up completely!
I'm thinking if someone was to come out with a module or whatever, that it would have it's own drivers already, or perhaps use a generic driver (depending on the hardware used to mod it). Firewire isn't dead though. All audio and video studio buffs use it. I'm a musician and do recording through firewire. There's usually less dropouts and higher sustain rates for speed. i.e less latency. Alot of digital video hardware is firewire as well.

I heard nothing but bad things about usb to firewire adapters (although I never tried one), because there would be a bottleneck, thus rendering the application at hand useless.

Thanks however for your input and everyone else. It's much appreciated.
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Calling All Modders!!! - 04-29-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx
Just in case anyone doesn't realize that this is a firewire hub. You plug in a firewire cable from the Mac mini into it then can plug 2 firewire items into it. Not useful for converting from USB to firewire.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral