General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#111) Old

Default Fixed Kernel Panic but now has gray screen. - 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM

cloaned my working 10.6.3 with 0.8.4rc1 to a usb drive. Booted up and patched internal disk with 8.4RC1.

It boots now instead of Kernel Panic but it hangs on a gray screen after loading. Ran -v, loaded everything then went back to the gray screen.

Will let it sit at gray screen for awhile and reboot again and see if it boots.
  (#112) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgworek View Post
cloaned my working 10.6.3 with 0.8.4rc1 to a usb drive. Booted up and patched internal disk with 8.4RC1.

It boots now instead of Kernel Panic but it hangs on a gray screen after loading. Ran -v, loaded everything then went back to the gray screen.

Will let it sit at gray screen for awhile and reboot again and see if it boots.

It can hang at the grey screen for quite a while

MINI 10V 10.6.3 HP PAVILLION DV6500 UBUNTU 9.10 WINDOWS 7 KALYWAY 10.5.2
EEE PC 701 EEEBUNTU 4.0 BETA PENTIUM D DUALCORE UBUNTU 9.10 WINDOWS 7 (WORKING ON OSX)
  (#113) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokeshacker View Post
One comment to add on my upgrade...on About This Mac, my processor now reads "1.6 Ghz Unknown", used to say CoreSolo....any ideas to fix?
Try downloading AboutThisMac.pkg from Mechdrews site to fix "Unknown Processor" in about this Mac section
  (#114) Old

Default RE: Upgrade from 10.6 to 10.6.3 using the new NBI. (8.4 RC1) - 03-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddog View Post
I am trying to upgrade from 10.6 to 10.6.3 using the new NBI. (8.4 RC1) Typing this post from another PC while the dell mini is being updated. Will post my results when complete.
***Update from OS X SL 10.6 to 10.6.3 worked flawlessly***

1. FIRST, IN CASE I NEEDED TO RESTORE MY MINI IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG, I BACKED UP MY MINI TO AN EXTERNAL 1TB USB DRIVE USING CLONEZILLA

2. From within OS X SL 10.6 , I dloaded, extracted and ran NBI 0.8.4 RC1. Took 6 mins 15 secs to update NBI. Rebooted dell mini. Note: if you have modified your Chameleon theme with customs login icons/logos, the mods will be overwritten by the NBI upgrade.

3. Once back in OS X SL, I performed a Software Update via apple menu. Took 16 mins to dload the 827 MB update and 18 mins for the update to install. Then the dell mini "sat" at mac purple wallpaper for 2 min 30 secs before rebooting.

4. The reboot produced a screen with a NBI "netbook logo" showing, along with the spinning pinwheel, which was located towards the bottom of the screen. This went on for 8 mins, 30 secs. Then the netbook rebooted.

5. I let the netbook boot into OS X SL. Checked "About This Mac" from the apple menu. Version is now 10.6.3. Note: for processor is does show 1.6 GHz Unknown. I will try the fix as posted earlier in this thread.

All appears to be working. I am also able to boot into my other OS'es, Win7 and Ubuntu

Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X SL 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal | 2 GB DDR2 RAM
  (#115) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 11:03 PM

OK, a different problem. I download the 10.6.3 update and run. Starts, checks disk space etc. then gives error;

The Installation Failed

An Unknown installation error occurred
The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Now, the only idea I have, is that even though I am running 10.6.2, I deleted some previous system update files, to free space. I think these were in /Library/Updates
I left the 10.6.2 one, but not the others......

UPDATE: OK, now tried the Combo update and the same message.
  (#116) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Okay guys, currently my Mini is just messed up. I updated to 10.6.3 after I installed and ran NBI 0.8.4. It installed the update, shut down, and rebooted with the NBI logo. I let that go and after about 10 minutes, it restarted again. It seemed to go well except that when it came to the screen to enter a password, the blue screen showed just my cursor and then went to a lighter blue, then my background. It kept cycling between all 3 of those. I restarted with -v and it had the same effect except that it added another screen to the cycle; a black screen with the rectangle in the top left corner (like the screen of the writing it shows when you use the -v command or whatever its called). Please help me out with this, by the way, I am running A04 BIOS.

Obsidian black Mini 10v 2gb RAM 160gb HDD running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  (#117) Old

Default How to go back... - 03-31-2010, 12:07 AM

So, I was having issues like many of us going to 10.6.3. I decided that I was going back to 10.6, whether it started at ground 0 or not...so, I used the old USB drive I had that was created with Netbook maker 0.8.3 and original SL install. Booted with this, went through the reinstall of SL. To my surprise, all was completely working again as it was prior to the 10.6.3/0.8.4 install.

Moral of the story...there IS a way back to your original settings...don't be afraid to try a few things...as long as you don't format the drive, I think you'll be ok.
  (#118) Old

Default 03-31-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5s View Post
So, I was having issues like many of us going to 10.6.3. I decided that I was going back to 10.6, whether it started at ground 0 or not...so, I used the old USB drive I had that was created with Netbook maker 0.8.3 and original SL install. Booted with this, went through the reinstall of SL. To my surprise, all was completely working again as it was prior to the 10.6.3/0.8.4 install.

Moral of the story...there IS a way back to your original settings...don't be afraid to try a few things...as long as you don't format the drive, I think you'll be ok.
Oh yeah? So it just took a couple hours or whatever for the install? I'll do that then and at least have it working again. Then I'd assuming you could go with the new NBI and update to 10.6.3 if you really want to as well. Sounds like a plan.
  (#119) Old

Default In progress - 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yertle View Post
Oh yeah? So it just took a couple hours or whatever for the install? I'll do that then and at least have it working again. Then I'd assuming you could go with the new NBI and update to 10.6.3 if you really want to as well. Sounds like a plan.

Yup. So, I then decided, what the heck, let's try installing the 10.6.3 update again (I can always go back, right).

- Installed NBI 0.8.4.
- Rebooted
- Went ahead and used the downloaded COMBO update install instead of a direct 'Software Update', as I DID receive the 'Installation Failed'' message as some of you did doing the update from the Apple menu.
- Rebooted after "Successful Installation"
- Sat at NBI boot for some time (As others have noted) and then it re- booted again, now showing the apple logo.
- Seems to be working cleanly now for the first time as a 10.6.3 install

Hope this helps!

Mini10v-2GB
  (#120) Old

Default About This Mac processor now reads "1.6 Ghz Unknown" - 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokeshacker View Post
One comment to add on my upgrade...on About This Mac, my processor now reads "1.6 Ghz Unknown", used to say CoreSolo....any ideas to fix?
I dloaded and used package from link below, from a previous post, on my dell mini 10v to fix the "1.6 GHz Unknown" processor listing and it works:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...w-leopard.html

Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X SL 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal | 2 GB DDR2 RAM