Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default no remote CD to check in System Pref. - 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM

I just put Snow Leopard on my mini 10v and now I would like to use remote CD which I enabled on my regular MacBook. However on the mini in System Preferences there is NO box to check for remote CD. Shouldn't there be one?
I installed Snow Leopard using by putting the mini HD into an external HD case and running the OS disc and RC 8.3.

So far everything works except remote CD. I can't figure out how to install one more program on the mini thru remote.

Thanks for your help.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 01:36 AM

I personally haven't tried it but:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1424...w_leopard.html

Remote Disk
Snow Leopard is the first only-on-disc upgrade to Mac OS X since the MacBook Air debuted. For many MacBook Air owners, this means Snow Leopard marks their first use of Remote Disc, Apple’s technology for installing software on one Mac using the optical drive of another. Remote Disc isn’t limited to the MacBook Air, however; you can use the feature to install Snow Leopard on any Mac currently running Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later. Here’s how:

First, make sure both Macs are on, awake, and connected to your local network. On the computer sharing the Snow Leopard disc (this computer must be running OS X 10.4.10 or later, as well), open the Sharing pane of System Preferences and enable DVD Or CD Sharing. (If the hosting computer is running OS X 10.4.10 through 10.5.2, you’ll first need to install DVD Sharing on it.)

Next, on the computer on which you’re installing Leopard, open a new Finder window and select Remote Disk in the sidebar; the computer sharing the disc should appear to the right. Double-click the computer sharing the disc; you’ll see a Connected message, and the Mac OS X Install DVD will appear. (If the computer sharing the disc has the Ask Me Before Allowing Others To Use My DVD Drive option enabled, you’ll see an Ask To Use button; click it and, once the request is approved, you’ll see the Connected message.) Double-click the Install DVD icon, and then double-click the Install Mac OS X icon that appears.

From this point, the installation should proceed as described above, albeit more slowly: installing Snow Leopard onto a 2009 MacBook Air from a 2009 Mac Mini over an 802.11n network—with the Nearby And Popular Printers, Additional Fonts, X11, Rosetta, and QuickTime 7 options enabled, and Language Translations disabled—took just over 56 minutes.

Dell Mini 10v • Mac OSX 10.6.2 • 1 GB RAM • 160GB HDD • BIOS A05 • Blue Tooth • 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#3) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 01:41 AM

My Macbook is set up for remote CD.

BUT I have no box to check for the mini 10v... no icon or anything shows up.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 01:50 AM

I don't know, those are the steps from the web. Like I said, I've never tried it. Make sure your firewall is not blocking the connection, you should see a green dot when you select remote cd in the host computer. Then put the DVD or CD in and see if the remote disk shows up in the mini Finder.

Check this out as well. Apparently Macbook Air's are setup to run the above. You might have to run a script for the mini?

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2009...n-any-mac.html

Dell Mini 10v • Mac OSX 10.6.2 • 1 GB RAM • 160GB HDD • BIOS A05 • Blue Tooth • 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#5) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 02:00 AM

I see the green dot on Macbook
NOTHING on mini 10v
tried the script but it did not work.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 02:09 AM

Did you put a disk in?

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#7) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 02:11 AM

Of course
  (#8) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 03:09 AM

Let me play around with it a little more. Did you reboot after running the scripts?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

EDIT:

Running the scripts worked. You need to do this on the mini, it's only enabled by default on a Macbook Air. Make sure you reboot after running the scripts and you will see it in your Finder

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

EDIT II:

Apparently you don't need another MAC to use remote CD. Here is a video of some guy using a Winblows computer as a host:

Video: MacBook Air's remote disc-drive sharing - Soa - Video-MacBook-Air-s-remote-disc-drive-sharing - AppleSource

Since he is using a Macbook Air and the Macbook Air is already setup by default to enable disk browsing, you will still have to run these scripts on the mini and reboot:

Quote:
On a MacBook Air this little preference code is already enabled. On other Macs this isn’t the case. Open up Terminal and type the following two lines, press return after each one. There will be no confirmation from Terminal when you have finished. From MacRumors.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#9) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the info.
I finally got the Remote Disk icon to show up on my mini 10v.
Awesome!