View Single Post
  (#3) Old

Default 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenguyen View Post
Your Windows 7 partition is now NTFS, you can't shrink it in Mac OS, and if your shrink it in Windows 7, it may corrupt your GUID. You can shrink MacOS partition in Disk Utility, then install Ubuntu following a triple boot guide. The Ubuntu boot choice will appear beside Mac OS and Windows.

There is an easier way to install Ubuntu that you don't have to mess up your current HDD. First, set the Windows 7 partition to active then installing Ubuntu in WINDOWS (Wubi), restart, then set the MacOS X drive to active. When you boot, you will only see Mac OSX and Windows, choose Windows and you can select booting to either Windows or Ubuntu.

P/S: I installed Linux Mint and Jolicloud using the first choice, after sever months, I can't boot to Linux anymore. It only shows : grub rescue.
Thanks for the response...

I ended up pulling the HDD out yesterday and put a 60GB drive it its place.

I set up Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10 on it, got the wireless driver working, and I am going to see if I can use this thing as a Linux only machine for a while. So far it seems to be pretty responsive and snappy and it boots fairly quickly. I actually find the "desktop" login method works better for me rather than the netbook version - so I like the fact that I can just log out and log in with another version.

I installed a bunch of packages from the package manager (following a guide I found online for some recommendations on a site titled "the perfect 10.10 desktop", leaving out some packages that i had no use for.

I did notice that there was one out of control process sucking up all my CPU (called something like "indicator-application-service"), but I rebooted and it seemed to settle down.

This is really a backup machine for me (portable for traveling), so I think I might be able to get by with it.

Thanks!