Thread: My Mini 1012!
View Single Post
  (#1) Old

Default My Mini 1012! - 04-07-2016, 03:52 AM

I originally bought my Dell Mini 1012 as a tiny little sub-laptop for College back in 2009/2010. After 2012, the Dell has basically sat in a bag and hasn't seen the light of day until recently. Unfortunately, I also only found this amazing website recently as well. I've done a couple of things to my Mini 1012, some of which I found out in this forum, and other's I haven't.

My original 1012 was shipped with 1GB of RAM, and it was the model with only 1 mPCIe slot. I have replaced the motherboard as well as a bunch of other stuff.

- Replaced motherboard: 3 mPCIe slots model
- 2GB RAM, made by G.Skill
- 120GB SSD, made by Kingston
- Intel 3160 wireless AC + Bluetooth 4.0
- Dell 365 Bluetooth 2.1
- Broadcom Crystal HD decoder
- Cut my old heatsink from my old motherboard for the HD decoder
- MR15 Dual SDHC/SDXC Reader
- 2x 32GB SDHC, made by Kingston
- Reflective Keyboard Stickers (for seeing in the dark)

I am using CoreAVC + Media Player Classic to watch my movie collection on my DLNA server. I also stream ROMs to a few emulators through the server as well. For YouTube, I am using SVPtube extractor to automatically send YouTube links to Media Player Classic as a pop-up player, rather than using flash. I am also using Chrome User-Agent Switcher, so that I can view the mobile versions of websites, which load and run significantly faster.

I also have a DIY netbook cooler, made from dollar store materials. Basically, I got a small black binder, cut a 120mm hole in the middle, added an old 120mm fan that I had laying around. Then I added a powered 4-port USB 3.0 hub that I got for free. All of the USBs are hooked up to the left side of the Mini. I noticed the binder didn't have enough strength to hold the Mini before it would sag, preventing airflow to the fan. So I bought a clipboard, cut it up, and used the material to add it underneath as structural support. Then I got a paint stick (free) and cut it up into short strips, as well as some adhesive velcro as a spacer for the front to give a bit more room underneath. It is all held together with black duct tape and hot glue.

Here are some pictures of everything:
(Please excuse the picture links. I tried posting the pics originally, but they were too big, so figured it was too tedious to re-size each of them just so that everything didn't get cut off.)

Motherboard
Mini + Cooling stand
Cooling stand top
Cooling stand inside
Portable Mini case
Screenshot of Desktop

Follow this link for the cute little Dell Mini icon I have for "This PC" (My Computer).

One more thing... as you see in Task Manager, I have a disk D:\. I have no idea what that is. It shows up as "Generic Multi-card USB device". My only assumption is that it has to do with the card reader somehow, but isn't an actual drive at all.

Inspiron Mini 1012 ǁ Win 10 x64 ǁ Intel Atom N450 1.66Ghz ǁ 2GB RAM ǁ 120GB SSD ǁ 1366x768 + Broadcom Crystal HD ǁ Intel 3160HMW 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 1x1 + Bluetooth 4.0 ǁ Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth 2.1 ǁ 2x32GB MR15 Internal dual-MicroSD mPCIe

Last edited by TwistyTravster; 04-07-2016 at 04:10 AM.