Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Unknown devices after install - 11-17-2008, 03:47 AM

Hey folks,
I just nlited myself an install of XP Pro and everything seems to be running well. I've just got two problems - two devices in the device manager that are marked as question marks. The first seems to be some sort of issue with the Compal Embedded System Controller. The system detects it on reboot, tries to install some drivers, and then tells me there is an issue and it stays as a ?. Doesn't seem to be hurting much, but I'd rather get it right.

The second is marked as a PCI Device under "Other Devices". I've downloaded all the drivers I can think of just to see if one of them will take and I can't seem to find what it is. Any ideas what more I might be able to try?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Unknown devices after install - 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Did you try and install the SD card reader driver from Dell's website? I had the same issue running Vista and after installing that driver, the unkown devices went away.

Mini 9 "9iNe"
Obsidian Black
Windows 7 RC1
Internal GPS Mod
2GB PC6400 Crucial
Invisible Shield Standard
Psyopper Custom Black Balistic Nylon
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Unknown devices after install - 03-14-2009, 02:19 AM

did you Download the battery app and install it? for some reason I had same issue till I installed this on XP Pro
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Unknown devices after install - 03-27-2009, 05:13 PM

I found that the audio devices didn't install right. Try pointing the driver of the unknown device to the extracted audio driver provided on dell's webite for the mini. This worked for me.

Mini9 Black, 16 GB SSD, WC, BT.
Projects- TS, GPS, Accelerometer.

« Benefits of Prefetch on SSD Mini 9? | Is it possible to boot XP from an external USB disk? »