Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Question for those who uninstalled McAfee - 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM

My new mini 9 should be here in a couple weeks. I read many of you uninstalling McAfee. Can you let me know why? Is it a resource hog? Also, what virus protection did you use in it's place?

(#2) Old
Default Re: Question for those who uninstalled McAfee - 05-12-2009, 02:40 AM

I uninstalled it because I've used it in the past, and my office has been using for years. It does tend to be a resource hog, and it doesn't play well with some of the other software. Also, from experience at work, it doesn't seem to very good at it's main objective, which is to detect and clean virus and malware. But that's just my experiences with it. For now, on my Mini (running Vista) I'm using Eset NOD32 a/v and Outpost firewall. My desktop runs Live One Care, for now, until the end of subscription then I'll probably put NOD32/Outpost on it as well. MS is dropping the Live One Care development for something else in the works.
  (#3) Old
Default evil - 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by burnside View Post
...uninstalling McAfee.... why?
I won't use McAfee since my experience with my cousin's McAfee.

He bought a 1 year McAfee anti-virus subscription with his new Dell, so since he'd paid I didn't uninstall McAfee and install Avast! for him. I wish I'd just chalked that $30 up to experience and thrown it away.

McAfee took his willingness to part with $30 as license to pelt him with FUD about needing their firewall, adware, etc. The notifications were relentless and ominous and for only another $60/year they'd stop.

Well that and my pleasure with Avast!

Mini 9 | Obsidian Black | Win XP | 512MB DDR2 | 8GB SSD | 802.11g | 4 cell battery | Dell Outlet previously ordered new | coupon
$199.00 + $18.41 CA sales tax @9.25% + $8.00 shipping + $8.00 CA recycle fee - $29.85 coupon 15% off - $8.00 coupon free shipping = $195.56
  (#4) Old
Default 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM

I prefer AV packages like AVG, Avira and Avast over Mcafee as in my experience they consume less resources and have better detection rates. I also don't need the extra items that Mcafee comes with.

mini 10 (via UK Dell outlet), Z520, 1024x576 , 6-cell, no BT
ordered & installed: BT module, US keyboard

« create image | Ran into some problems after I installed XP »