Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Dell XP restore suite not so user friendly - 11-08-2008, 12:53 AM

I made the decision to go back to XP today (dont ask), and found the Dell restore suite quite average.
The install is like a basic OEM XP disk install followd by the vendor driver disk(s) (I am sure you have all installed an os then run through the pile of driver disk after the OS first boots). The drivers need to be installed manually one after the other, and it takes ages.
Come on Dell, surely you can manage to supply an unattended restore image that reproduces the factory hdd image. Why wouldnt I want to restore with ALL the drivers installed automatically ?
I am sure end result after restore is different to what comes installed on the HDD from factory.
I am sure my mini had shortcuts on the desktop to install open office and the Dell video chat client pre installed on first start up.
Can some one confirm what was installed out of the box on a 16gb xp unit ?

Additionally I dont get the OSD for volume keys or full screen browser window with win key.
Can any one assist in getting these features working again ?

(#2) Old
Default Re: Dell XP restore suite not so user friendly - 11-08-2008, 01:21 AM

I agree. This is the first time I've experienced an install that was this painstaking. Even my emachines desktop had a decent driver install disk that didn't load crapware.

« Custom Theme Problem | Problem installing clean XP Pro »