Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#31) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM

For me, I prefer the K-Lite codec pack over the CCCP.

Also, maciassk & melzbelz, I too am working w/ Legacy and I hadn't even thought about bringing the Mini along! Thx!

I also installed Google Earth. The clencher for me was GooPS (along w/ a BT GPS). Realtime GPS w/ Google Earth makes this so very handy when travelling and wanting movie from Blockbuster or a burger from Applebee's. Just fire it up and find out exactly where to go.

Also for travellers, I like the MS Time Zone app to keep time straight - kinda ticks people off at home when you call from Paris at 10AM and it's only 4AM here on the East coast!

As far as AV/FW, I'm using Comodo and Avast.

The rest I use:
EvJO Wallpaper Changer
Sling Player for my SlingBox
Almost all the stuff from PortableApps since it can run from a thumb drive/SD card with no install. (Celestia, Stellarium, Sudoku, THPoker, LBreakout)
UltraVNC for remote desktop
  (#32) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 01-28-2009, 05:54 AM

Didn't see this in the thread already: one must have an image mounting tool of some sort. I prefer Daemon Tools. And for the XP user, the Royal Noir theme.
  (#33) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 02-04-2009, 02:24 AM

Hey all... just got my mini (my second one... gave the first away before they became scarce :? )

I'm a developer type looking to use mini for 'utility' functions. Here are some apps i have to start off :

WinAmp (for internet radio)
Freesshd (for remotely accessing filesystem)
TrueCrypt (might want to store personal info in protected storage)
Office 2k7 (OneNote and Excell are must-haves for brainstorming) - Buy the 3 liscense home and student for $75-120
WinSCP (for accessing other computer filesystems which are running some sort of ssh daemon like freesshd)
CNN live video shortcut (not an app but as good as one)... create a shortcut simply pointing to :
mms://a466.l3760651364.c37606.g.lm.akam ... ctor:51364

And I have a utility i wrote called Popmail announcer which will use Text-to-speech to announce incoming email messages subject lines and sender info (new messages received 'after' starting the program). It works only with pop email servers and depends on the .net 20 framework and text to speech which is built into most modern windows distributions (like the mini).

If your interested in Popmail announcer,
- here's a screenshot,
- heres the exe file,
- and if your a developer, heres the source ...
  (#34) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 02-10-2009, 01:14 AM

One thign I've added to the mix that I haven't seen here yet is Microsoft's Mesh.

It lets me sync files across computers, share them with co-workers or connect remotely from one computer to another, so you I access files, programs, and settings as if I were sitting in front of that remote computer.

Been a lifesaver when I needed to do something that the netbook couldn't handle when I'm away from home.
  (#35) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
it does every thing, Y!, Aim, facebook.
I love it, its all i use for im

Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 2GB GSkill RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, Intel 5300 a/b/g/n, BlueTooth, 8 cell battery (11hr runtime)
  (#36) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 02-19-2009, 11:58 PM

-= Mini 9 | RunCore 64gb SSD w/win7 | STEC 8gb SSD w/windows 7 w/bitlocker enabled| 2GB Ram | Internal BT =-
  (#37) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 03-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Just wanted to mention b/c I believe nobody else has yet:

Freeware Post-it stickies program.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#38) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Desktop Earth 2.0

Desktop Earth is a wallpaper generator for Windows. It runs whenever you`re logged on and updates your wallpaper with an accurate representation of the Earth as it would be seen from space at that precise moment

Day and night is accurately represented depending on the Sun`s overhead position (which depends on both the time of day and the day of the year) and both the snow cover and the foliage changes with the seasons.

# Your Netbook's Software and Driver Source!
  (#39) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 03-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Lots of good suggestions here.

For encryption, if you like free open source software but you don't like Truecrypt, AXCrypt is perfect for every day use. You right click a file and choose Axcrypt -> Encrypt : give it a password and tell it to use that password as your default password. Next time you want to encrypt a file right click it and choose Axcrypt -> Encrypt and you are done. To open a file double-click it as always, supply the password, and you are done. It doesn't get any easier than that. Instead of encrypting a file you can encrypt it to an exe file so you can decrypt it on a system that doesn't have Axcrypt installed. Which means you can email it to someone who doesn't use Axcrypt.

For video playback, KMplayer is free and better than the rest.
  (#40) Old
Default Re: Must Have Software - 03-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Glary Utilities

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

# Your Netbook's Software and Driver Source!

« Windows XP Embedded | Whats a free "Microsoft Word" clone with good spell check ? »