Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 10-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Anybody getting the following tried soo many methods of installing now orignal restore media, xp pro cds, custom nlite ones.

But always getting a message similar to:

The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed.

It defaults to Cdrom0\I386 - on microsoft knowledge base they suggest this is because they cant read cd/dvd.

I've got a new LG USB DVD Writer and a really old Emprex Dvd Writer and it's happening on both.

Driving me crazy got a new dell mini 9 but at the moment cant use it!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM

I had the same problem, just change the cdrom0\i386 to d:\i386 and it works, there are a few of them but at least it works.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM

Very werid i tried c:\i386 but not d:\i386. I ended up using hirens boot cd and arnois disk directory and creating a fat32 partition. Copy the contents of i386 off the cd to the partition and then ran smartdrv followed by winnt which run the setup etc.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 11-09-2008, 12:33 AM

I had this problem too... changed the cdrom0\i386 to d:\i386
  (#5) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 11-09-2008, 09:14 AM

The same here.

Took me a while too see what wasn't ok.

Last tip : you can copy/paste while installing XP makes you spare some repetitive typing.

mini9 : 2 Go de RAM, 8 Go de SSD
  (#6) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster
I had the same problem, just change the cdrom0\i386 to d:\i386 and it works, there are a few of them but at least it works.

thank you thank you thank you

and thank you for the copy/paste rec, had to need ctrl+v a lot

--s
  (#7) Old

Send a message via AIM to eXplicit
Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 12-11-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster
Tried this, but it's not working. I can't get one straight answer from Dell because of all their outsourced tech agents. I am using the Dell external DVD-RW drive that I bought with it. Any suggestions?

**UPDATE** Dell is sending me a new 16GB SSD with a new installation of Windows XP Home. So, I'll have an extra 16GB. Their price for a 16GB is like $175!! HAHAH!

(#8) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 01-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks -- d:\i386 did the trick!!
  (#9) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 02-10-2009, 12:55 AM

I too just had this problem. Stumped me for a bit.

edit - it wants me to do it for EVERY file.....

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 02-10-2009, 08:31 AM

I had this problem when I had another USB device connected as well as the DVD reader. I disconnected the other device, rebooted and the install continued without the prompt.

« Reinstalling Windows | Resolved - Missing hal.dll when installing xp from USB »