Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#21) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
Or you can add in the missing d:/ to each error, there's only about 20 or so
... and as was mentioned earlier in this thread, you can even use copy & paste (Ctrl/V) to make things a bit easier!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#22) Old

Default 12-06-2009, 02:35 AM

never worked for me, id press enter and nothing would happen

Dell Mini 9 - 16GB RunCore SSD - 1GB Ram - 3G Vodafone Broadband - Bluetooth - 0.3MP Webcam
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS - OsX Snow Leopard. / Currently testing Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
  (#23) Old

Default 12-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Fixed! I went through each letter a:/ and when i got to h:/ it worked i kept copy and pasting as said in a post in the thread thought id share incase people have dvd drives with sd card readers or other media

Dell Mini 9 - 16GB RunCore SSD - 1GB Ram - 3G Vodafone Broadband - Bluetooth - 0.3MP Webcam
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS - OsX Snow Leopard. / Currently testing Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
  (#24) Old

Default Solution! - 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM

I have solution that does NOT involve multiple COPYING and PASTING.

I ran into this issue with a fresh reinstall of XP w/SP3 on a desktop. During the early stages of the XP setup the message for needing the ASMS file popped up. At this point I was unable to continue even after trying d:\i386, x:\i386, etc... I read that this issue is related to the XP setup not recognizing the CD/DVD drive properly.

So, welcome UBUNTU! I have a newly created UBUNTU 9.1 live CD boot disk. Let me first say that I am not at all a Linux expert. I'm a Linux newbie. You don''t have to be an expert. Immediately after I received the ASMS error I put the live CD in the CD drive of the desktop and rebooted to the live CD. UBUNTU will recognize devices such as USB flash drives. This is important for this solution to work. While the PC was booting to the live CD I went to a laptop of mine and copied the XP w/SP3 CD to a flash (USB) drive (c:\win dir.). Then I brought the flash drive to my problem desktop. Plugged the flash drive in and UBUNTU recognized the flash drive. I copied the "c:\win" directory from my flash drive to the desktop. I then rebooted the desktop and guess what? I didn't even I to type a path for ASMS. The XP setup automagically continued. Oh, if by chance the XP setup does not continue I recommend typing c:\win\i386 (or whatever directory that you copied your XP cd to).

This setup process not only continued but was probably faster since XP was able to find any additional setup files on its hard drive.

Hope this helps someone get past the ASMS and CD/DVD issue.
  (#25) Old

Default what helped for me - 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM

IF d:\i386 DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU'RE USING TO INSTALL WINDOWS START AT a:\i386 AND WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH THE ALPHABET. IT JUST HAPPENED TO BE "e:\i386" FOR ME.
  (#26) Old

Default 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiplexPrime View Post
I had this problem too... changed the cdrom0\i386 to d:\i386
Yeah i tried it but it's still not working...
  (#27) Old

Default A huge thatnk you - 05-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Fisrt time using this forum very handy and great advise I used what you suggested and this works very well I am now finsihing the installation of Windows onto my Mini 9
  (#28) Old

Default 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanks guys!

I spent all freaking night trying to get passed the "install windows cd for asms". I wish I had looked sooner, but better late than never.

I'm installing windows on an ultra tablet pc, and I'm using a sata drive hooked up to the usb ports alone with my usb keyboard. I typed in d:\i860, and then highlighted it. Used Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste as mentioned here in the forum. I must have used Ctrl+V 50 times, but it was well worth it!

Thanks guys!!!
  (#29) Old

Default 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM

I've just noticed the post about other devices......stupidly i'd left an SD card in the slot; took that out, tried again and it sailed through without asking about where to find the files.
  (#30) Old

Default 11-20-2010, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the help. My mini10 used "C:\I386" as the location. Go figure. I spent over a day trying to fix my laptop until I stumbled onto this forum. What a life saver.

« Reinstalling Windows | Resolved - Missing hal.dll when installing xp from USB »