Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Sun Java JRE inhibits stanby - 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi all,

I read in a thread (here: a03,-not-auto-suspending-standby-%3Cresolved-a03-is-a-ok%3E-t1857s100.html) a while ago about Java possibly inhibiting a Dell Mini 9 from standing by correctly. The fault was initially suspected to be the A03 BIOS update but that was clarifyied later on.

However it seems I developed the same problem on my XP Pro install. I used JRE 6 v 11 and when I hit the power button to take my Mini 9 in to standby, it would blank out the screen and look as though it had gone into stanby, only to still have the power LED on full bright, not flashing. To recover from this state I had to do a hard reset which was a royal pain in the ass.

I took a hunch that it was the Java causing my problem and uninstalled it and the problem went away. Over time though, the frustration of not having Java on my Mini 9 has got too much so I have taken the decision to reinstall. After much internet searching I came across this thread here: ... ate-82008/ comment #17 which solves the problem. Simply disable Java Quick Start in the control panel applet and all is well again.

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD

« rosetta stone language software | bridging lan and wifi kills connection »