Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Fresh install of XP - 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Having just got my 10v i would like to do a fresh install of XP without all the crap on.Since i'm not the best with computers please can someone point me in the right direction.
Is there a really easy step by step guide to this?

Is it possible to install this on to a SD card to do the re-install rather than a USB stick?

I have found 1 or 2 guides and but i'm suck on 1 big question!

Can you just use the XP (Dell) disc that came will the 10v and do you have to install the drivers as well on to a USB.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM

you can get the drivers off of the Dell web site...also I am not sure about the SD on the Mini 10v, you might have to use a thumbdrive

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default Be careful with fresh installs.... - 08-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Mine recognizes the sdhc card slot as a booting device. Heck, I've even been able to boot off it using a 4gb sdhc card from walgreens.

Be careful when doing a fresh install, however. Some 10v's get shipped with 3 partitions on the one drive. First is usually a diagnostics partition. Second is your OS, and third is the recovery partition. You could wipe the ability to do a factory restore out, but that may be okay since you got the discs.
  (#4) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM

You should have more than one CD. One with the OS on it and another with all the drivers. My 1010 finally bit the big one and I had to repartition it and start from scratch.

I had to remove all the corrupted partitions (the os cd kept trying to repair them, to no avail) and repartition the HD then format it and then install XP. After than I still had to install all the drivers one at a time from the driver CD plus any software not part of the OS.

Most driver CD's install all the original drivers with one clip; but not the one that comes with the Dell mini's. Also I found that a couple of the programs (not drivers) were not on the driver CD. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Uninstall Explorer? | Install Windows XP Dell Mini 9 »