Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service - 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM

Does anyone know how to set up the Outlook Mobile Service addin to integrate mobile messaging in outlook?

My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service - 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM

I think you have to be setup with an exchange server. If you already are, then you need to ask you Exchange Admin if they support it.

I do not think it works with the standalone Outlook with POP3/SMTP/IMAP.

Mini 9 "9iNe"
Obsidian Black
Windows 7 RC1
Internal GPS Mod
2GB PC6400 Crucial
Invisible Shield Standard
Psyopper Custom Black Balistic Nylon
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service - 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Not sure that it's anything specifically to do with exchange. I run my own exchange server. From my own investigations so far it seems to be that there are a number of web services that translate SMS messages. These seem to be subscriptions services. That's all fine but I don't need a service to do this as I have SMS capability in my mini 9 by virtue of the WWAN. I hoped however that there would be some sort of addin that would allow my SMS messages from the WWAN to be managed, edited and sent from within Outlook. Does anyone know of anything like this?

My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service - 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM

I use Outlook Mobile. I don't think it will work the way you want it to. It allows you to send text messages and calendar reminders, but you can't receive texts. It basicly sends an email to a third party who converts it into a text message and determines the carrier to send it to. When the recipient gets the text, it comes from a random number (5200001) and lists your email address in the body. If the recipient replies, it goes to that random number and you do not get the message. It is only useful for one way communication. However, you can set it up to text your phone when you get email or to send reminders to you.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service - 01-25-2009, 02:32 AM

There are lots of options out there for using Outlook on the move. Outlook Mobile SMS service comes as a bolt on to Exchange combined with one if the more esoteric Sharepoint Servers (I think). This would mean you needed a pretty substantial coporate infrstructure behind you - or a particularly focused hig-tech one. If you don't have access to that, here's a quick summary of the other options available to you, in ascending order of complexity/infrastructure required:

One main computer with Outlook and wanting to pick up messages on a smatphone:
====> The easiest way is to use an ISP that allows more than one output of messages. For example on 1and1 you could have delivering to a mailbox and forward to another address, such as You collect as a normal POP3 account, but view as an IMAP account. The uber trick on this is to auto-cc your sent mail to another account ( and also collect that on Outlook as an IMAP account. What this mean in practice is that you always have your email avialable on your home Outlook and your mobile device. This works with all mobile devices, including Windows Mobile, Blackberry and mobile phones.

One main computer with Outlook and a laptop or other computer wanting to share calender, tasks and contacts offline:
====> If you don't need to take email with you (or are using the method above for that) than there are file sync and replication tools that allow you take your tasks, contacts and calender. There are many techniques described on the interweb, but I prefer the briefcase one as it's built in to Windows. Bear in mind that you normally can only use one instance of Outlook at any time using these methods and you must be robust about your sync hygeine or you risk corruption of your data!
====> (various methods)
====> (briefcase method)
====> Alternatively, if you only want to share a calander, consider using an online Free/Busy service.

One main computer with Outlook and a laptop or other computer(s) sharing calender, tasks and contacts online:
====> Use another method for mail, but take advantage of the many online calender/contacts tools that are out there. Google is a great example but there are many more.

One main computer with Outlook and a laptop or other computer(s) sharing mail and all Outlook features:
====> This is the gold standard of Outlook data sharing and to do it elegantly and reliably will tend to require the spending of money. It is possible to use the breifcase method above to share email folders but the hassle is often not worth it. Also, all the other methods below allow you to collaborate with other users in a way that isn't possible with briefcase replication.
====> 0$ p/m (cheapest) - Give up Outlook! It's bloatware in the highest degree. Use a pure mesh/cloud/wwan based service. There are plenty of testaments to GMail, hotmail and other providers out there. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about data storage, on the downside, you always need an internet connection as most of these services don't offer a local cache (at least not for free).
====> 0$ p/m (cheap but lots of sweat and tears) - Use an open source alternative to Exchange. There are one or two out there, including Open Exchange and Zimbra. Both have different levels of features but require you to set up a linux box at home and do all the config yourself. You will, at the end of it get free Exchange type email on Outlook, the ability to use more than one instance, live and the ability to log in remotely in a similar way to Outlook Web Access (similar to running your own hotmail).
====> 5-10$ p/m - Purchase a "Hosted Exchange" account from an ISP. This will normally set you back about $100 per year but there are much cheaper packages out there. This way you get all the benefits of exchange but with none (or much less) of the setup hassle. For an extra £5-20 p/m you can get Blackberry Enterprise Integration bolted on (Windows Mobile should be free).

Hope that helps.

For info, I spent the last 5 years using a combination of the first method and the briefcase method, but have now switched to a hosted exchange package after spending too many long nights trying to set up an open-source version!

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD
  (#6) Old
Default 07-03-2009, 09:55 PM

I work for Mediaburst, one of the Outlook Mobile Service providers who enable the SMS service. Srievley pointed out that you can not reply to the message. This is an anomoly that is only applicable in the USA or Canada or when using specific service providers who have not enabled the reply functionality. Unfortunately US network operators won't allow PC/machine generated SMS messages be be delivered to mobiles from a normal mobile number i.e. one you can reply to. This does not apply to the rest of the world. Hence, if you were to signup to Mediaburst service and so long as your not in the USA or Canada, your messages will arrive at the phone from a mobile number, you can reply to that numnber, and the replies will arrive at your inbox.

Sales bit: If you go onto our website you can signup for free and get 5 messages to test the service with, it's the best way to work it out!

Hope this info helps
  (#7) Old
Default 10-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Quite a few months passed but you may find this info useful:

Ozeki has developed a solution for adding SMS functionality to Outlook 2007. You can read the article below:

How to send SMS from Microsoft Outlook 2007
Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

« local network file sharing with os x | Looking for XP restore disk »