Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default XP Notepad.exe Memory Reference Error - 03-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I encountered an error yesterday or so that said:

The instruction at "0x100186b4" referenced memory at "0x7472732c". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

A search on the net for 0x100186b4, but it didn't really turn up anything in the way of solving the error. However, there was a tip about using your XP Restore/Recovery CD to copy (expand) notepad.ex_ to the C:\Windows folder....

Recovering A Corrupted System File
Recover a Corrupted System File | great tips for all versions of windows and security

My notepad.ex_ file was in the I386 folder.... BTW, this tip has been out for a while....

Now, here's the rub: I spelled notepad wrong when I was in the command prompt.... (~lol~ nnotepad.exe) Strangely enough, I still got the error after expanding the file off the CD as notepad .exe (to the Windows folder).

The misspelled nnotepad.exe opened perfectly without errors while the correctly spelled ones continued to give the same error above.

& so the old notepad.exe file is still there alongside the misspelled nnotepad .exe; I just don't use it & have pointed the shortcut in Accessories to the other notepad file....

I will be doing some malware + spyware checks to see if anything is awry....

I'm wondering if I get the error still, due to file protection or something.... Hhrrmm.... Notepad .exe would return after shredding it....

Does anyone know what would cause the error, though? A complete fix would still be nice (instead of a workaround). Thanks!

============Learning Devices============

« Operating System not Found, please help | URGENT!! Reformat Mini 10v to XP »