Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Windows XP Embedded - 12-03-2009, 03:18 AM

I have created a custom Windows XP Embedded image for the Dell Mini 9. It is not perfect but it works. I am trying to make an Internet only OS, and make the Mini boot as quick as possible.

I timed startup between Windows 7 and XPe. This is from when the Power button is pressed (from a cold off state) to either the desktop or login screen. These include POST with a USB optical drive connected (this adds a few seconds).

XPe 19.7 to desktop
Windows 7 43.4 to log in screen

The XPe image is currently 320 MB, but I could make it smaller if I wanted. I plan on re-doing the image with EWF and HORM (this will make it boot even faster). HORM uses a resume state file to boot.

Is anyone here interested in XPe images? I mean it is not a typical OS to use, because you have to pay $1000 dollars for 1 licence and the toolkit to create the image and then like 100 per licence after that.
Anyway, If anyone is really interested in using it let me know I can provide you with the image and a licence. In fact have 7 valid licences for XPe I do not need. I will send you the COA sticker, and you NEED to stick it on the bottom of your MINI to be properly licenced.
  (#2) Old
Default 01-16-2010, 09:04 AM

I know this was from a while ago, but did you ever get around to re-building the image with Hibernate-once-resume-many? If so, what kind of boot times are you getting? I had been thinking about trying to use Embedded with HORM in a dual boot as a small appliance type install for when guests would need to use my mini for browsing, etc., but I never got around to trying it out.
  (#3) Old
Default 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM

If you're still offering this, I'd also be quite interested in giving it a shot. Does the image have to be extracted to the hard drive to run, or can it be booted from USB?
  (#4) Old
Default 03-10-2010, 01:18 AM

Sorry for the long away time I was very busy at work.

I have found out a few things. One when building my XPe image I forgot to enable hyperthreading, so I imagine this will help boot times even more.

As far as HORM goes, I have worked with it in the past and have had very good results (~10 sec boot to full desktop) just not on a mini.

So this is what I am doing...

Rebuilding the image with XPe Standard 2009 (SP3 included).
Enable Muli-threading when building the image.
Use Minlogin which will increase boot times further.
Install and Enable EWF and HORM.

This should take a few weeks to iron out and I will let you guys know how it worked out.
  (#5) Old
Default 10-22-2010, 04:30 AM

hello, I am interest in trying this. If you still have those licenses for embeded edition, please contact me

« Clean XP install problem | Must Have Software »