So, I followed the steps as Nimrod explained. I removed my dongle, uninstalled the WIDCOMM package from add/remove packages, rebooted, and plugged the dongle back in. And then it copied two files into place in C:\windows\system32\drivers and said it was installed successfully. I then attempted to update the driver, pointing the search at the folder Nimrod supplied, but I get a dialog box that these drivers are not better than the ones I already have installed. What am I missing? How do I make these drivers install?
Edit - Scratch that. I went back to Nimrod's post at digiex and noticed that he said he got it working by modifying the driver to include the Hardware ID's in the Supported devices list. So, i went back to the system manager and looked up the hardware device ID's for this dongle and then added the two lines to the driver for them. I then manually directed the install to the updated .inf file and sure enough, it installed.
Unfortunately, the item I was installing was a bluetooth stereo headset, and there appears to be no services as part of the install for these, so all that effort appears to be for naught. Nimrod, unless I'm missing something you might want to add a disclaimer that this is not going to support all devices.