Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Default Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM

My Mini is still on order. I'm planning on using an SD card for Temp files, and am wondering how this has worked for anyone.

What have any of you found when putting temp and swap files on an SD card?

"Germanium" Jack
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Why would you do that, the SSD is faster....

I've heard mixed stuff about swap files, you'd think you wouldn't need one on an SSD, but I've read some people get rid of them and some people set them at specific sizes, I guess the ammount of memory and applications you run would impact that as well.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM

i turn the swap off, you can manually set to a specific size if you think you really need it. use ramdisk to store temp files in memory rather than the ssd.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM

using the SD card for swap and temp files would be ridiculously slow since they are a quarter or less of the speed of the SSD.

a SSD doesn't have any bearing at all on whether you "need" a swap file. the amount of ram, how many programs are opened at once and how long they are left open unused determine the swap file needs.

if you've got 2gb of RAM in the system, it will hardly ever need to swap anything to the swap file, so it'd be tempting to turn it off. but, turning off the swap file prevents you from being able to get full information about a crash if windows blue screens, so I leave it on with a fixed 200mb size (which is also what Dell ships them set to).
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM

You can use eBoostr which analyzes disk load and places commonly used files onto the drive/system memory. It's supposed to emulate ReadyBoost & Super-fetch like features of Vista. I have an odd amount of memory in most of my systems so I allocate 1gb of system memory to eBoostr and it 'feels' like app's start faster. Give it a try but this is one of the ways you can achieve what you're trying to do.
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM

I only thought about it to have the temporary and swap file data writes going somewhere else to reduce the number of writes to the SSD and help it "live" as long as possible.

I'm guessing that the drives are compressed for the same reason. If a file that is being written is 400,000 bytes long, and it is written to the SSD in uncompressed mode, it will use up 400,000 byte write cycles plus the directory write cycles. With compression running in RAM, the number of bytes actually written to the SSD would be reduced. If the file only compressed by 25%, it would reduce the number of byte write cycles down to 300,000 plus the directory write cycles. This would eliminate 100,000 byte write cycles to the SSD.

So while running the SSD (like any other drive) compressed, throughput will be slower due to the extra software overhead of the compression and decompression, but the number of byte write cycles to the SSD would be reduced. This might result in a longer service life of the SSD.

"Germanium" Jack
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM

i posted this on a cnet forum to answer a person doing research on the mini 9 for his boss. i thought it's relevant for this thread as it shows that i actually increased my swap file to 1.5gb ( i have a 1gb ram) because windows almost crashed on me when i had it set to the default 200mb. sorry about the title, as i was a little bit insulted that one of the replies suggested the dell mini 9 is nothing more than a pda..

with all of my apps installed and the 1.5gb swap file on my c: drive (16gb ssd), i still have over 7gb available on the c: drive.

-----------------below was posted on a cnet forum----------------------------------------

Dell mini 9 a PDA???

i bought a dell mini 9 - 1gb ram, 16gb ssd, 1.3mp webcam, no bt, winxp home edition and just received it last thursday. originally, i ordered it from the dell website but had to cancel because it would have taken about a month, and i found a seller on ebay selling it for about the same price, brand new.

i spent some time this past weekend to move a bunch of stuff from my full-sized notebook computer dell latitude d610.

when i got the dell mini 9, i noticed that the c: drive was compressed, i uncompressed it, canceled the process and manually uncompressed the folders c:\windows and the c:\program files. i then uninstalled all the junk that came preinstalled (ms works, av sw, etc.), downloaded the windows updates, and installed, office xp pro (without access and info live?), yahoo messenger, cboe toolbox, skype, pokerstars, steganos anonym and safe, mcafee enterprise, juniper vpn client (java web-based), firefox (with add ons), vlc, divx codec. maybe an item or two i forgot to mention.

also, when i ran 5 tabbed windows on firefox, it said virtual memory was low, so checked the settings on my computer (properties) and it was set to 200mb. i adjusted it to 1.5x my ram size (1.5gb)...

even after all that, i still have over 7gb left on my c: drive.

i do have a 320gb wd my passport usb external hard drive (powered by the same usb data cable - sweet) so all my stuff, pics, media files, etc, that take a lot of space are there. i also have an 8gb sdhc memory in the dell mini 9 card reader slot which i don't plan to take out. i moved c:\i386 and c:\dell to the sdhc memory.

everyday, i have about 7-8 tabbed windows on firefox opened which sounds weird, but one is for yahoo mail, one for, one for gmail, one for cme futures, (during market hours) about 3 for real-time stock quotes list (stock symbols and option symbols - 10 items per window), one for forum watching, one for commodities - switching between energy commodities and agricultural/metals, one for general web browsing. eight tabbed windows on firefox is the limit (for me) before it starts to have to scroll sideways.

i also have 3 tabbed windows on ie for ted spread, libor rates, usb swap spread plus a window to start the java-based web chat for stocks. yahoo messenger is always running. skype is also running (for sms messaging to international cell phones, cheaper than using t-mobile international sms). i actually use yahoo messenger for voip international calls as the rates are better than skype. i also use yahoo messenger for web chat with my fiance who has a lenovo s10 netbook.

with the juniper vpn client, i can connect to work, even remote desktop to my office pc (or servers) and have access to virtually all of the computer resources at work.

i trade stock options and play real money on pokerstars, so if this is not reliable for those activities, i wouldn't use it.

so, if all pda's can do all of that, then i suppose a dell mini 9 is just a pda...

[btw, i typed all of these on my dell mini 9 eventhough my dell latitude d610 is just a few feet away. pretty used to the keyboard now, after spending some time with it last weekend. can't wait for my verizon card to be converted to usb so i can use it on this. the dell d610 will probably stay in my laptop bag most of the time while i have my dell mini 9 plus verizon card with me in my messenger bag wherever i go]

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#8) Old
Default Re: Swap and Temp files on SD? - 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM

I tried eboostr and found that web surfing actually slowed down. This is purely subjective and may be coincidental. Other factors could well be in play, but with eboostr cache turned on with about 3GB reserved on a cat 4 16GB SDHC, web pages were sluggish to load where the same pages loaded faster without eboostr. It's not solid evidence, but enough for me not to continue the downloaded trial. My Mini with 2GB is fast enough.

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1

« Stupid IE 7 Tricks | Factory restore. »