Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Send a message via ICQ to ptdmini12 Send a message via MSN to ptdmini12 Send a message via Yahoo to ptdmini12
Default 7? - 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM

So I just got my confirmation email that dell has shipped my baby. Im gettin a 1.33 1G mini12 w/XP preloaded. I was considering ubuntu, but have been reading a lot about windows 7RC, guess it comes out soon. So, my question is: Should I load 7 on my system, and have all the resolution issues been worked out? any problems or glitches when you mix a mini 12 and windows 7 that i should be aware of?

xp is oldschool.

Thanks for your comments, your thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated.

Atom Z520@1.33 | Windows 7100
  (#2) Old
Default Re: 7? - 04-25-2009, 07:56 PM

I have a dell mini 9 with 8gb SSD and it worked fine for me. All graphics settings including the Aero interface and screen resolution work perfectly. A Mini 12 should be quite similar.

Just note that depending on the size of your Solid State Drive, you might want to vlite the windows 7 install to save disk space. A regular install will take up 8GB of space, but you can shrink it smaller, like I had to do since I have an 8gb SSD
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: 7? - 04-25-2009, 08:10 PM

There haven't been any resolution issues with the builds of Win7 that I've installed.

The only problem I've run into is occasionally the Intel video driver takes a dump coming out of sleep, but Win7 recovers and restarts the driver without a reboot, so it's only a minor annoyance.

If you have a 16GB SSD you will have enough room to install Office and other application and have room to play. 8GB drive will take some work to get it to fit.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old
Default Re: 7? - 05-03-2009, 12:22 PM

I thoulg mini 12 only came with hard drives and that too 30GB or higher. So you should fine as far as storage space is concerned.

« Speaking of leaks... | Windows 7 official RC has been released »