Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#11) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: Boot times - 04-04-2009, 03:57 AM

My shutdown is longer but startup is the same length. No tweaking, all services running, vanilla Ultimate install.

Getting an iPad
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Boot times - 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM

I'm on build 7074 now, but an upgrade rather than reinstall. Basically, I have found a bug which I have reported - where you have to change the power settings for what the HDD does on battery - it's set after a time to power off if you don't force the PC into sleep mode - this bad, as without power, you cannot resume the PC without a forced power off, or plugging it in to reactivate the SSD. This is a power saving feature for mechanical drives which needs to be tweaked for SSD.

Otherwise, verify that services are off which I don't want/need (like defrag, which does check to see if you had a SSD and turns to manual), and I also forcably set my swap file to a static size - matching both min and max size. This eliminates issues with the page file constantly changing sizes, which can lower the SSD lifespan with read/writes as it grows or shrinks. This also helps manage a predicable size on the SSD and with Win7, 1G or even 1.5 is fine, you won't need more with the type apps typically run from these.

« Build 7048 | windows 7 and wireless »