Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Score one for Windows 7 (Tethering) - 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM

My new unit arrived today, this time with the internal Bluetooth module.

I installed the latest build of Windows 7, and one of the first things I did was tether my T-Mobile Blackberry 8700g.

It could have not been easier. Also, I did not have to load the Blackberry Desktop Manager software ahead of time. Windows 7 recognized the phone and installed the correct modem driver. I entered the custom initialization string for T-Mobile, setup the dial-up connection, and was online.

Getting an iPad
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 - 03-11-2009, 09:01 PM

If I read your post correctly, you are using your Blackberry as a dial up modem so you don't need a wireless hotspot, Yes?
Does that use "talking" minutes on your plan or eat into data plan allowances?

Did you have any issues w/ install of BB Desktop Manager?

Hopefully your methods will work eaqually well with my hardware & my planned Windows 7 install (below).
Any advice you could offer would be appreciated as I have never replaced a hard drive or installed an oerating system from scratch.

My 64GB Runcore is sitting at my house right now, patiently waiting for me to come home to it (instead of the other way around)...

So tonight I will be finally installing the full version of Windows 7 on my mini.
Do you have any advice for me before I start the Windows 7 install and add my Blackberry Pearl 8100 (AT&T)?

My system (Current)

Standard Dell XP install
Bios A04
2GB RAM
8GB STEC SSD (being Replaced)
External DVD Drive w/ Optional AC Power (or 2 USB post for power from Mini)

I intend to:
Burn the Windows 7 ISO to DVD
Physically swap the SSD in the Mini replacing with the out of the Box 64GB Runcore.
Then hook up my External DVD to the Mini USB port (DVD on external Power & Windows 7 Disc in it)
Then power up the Mini..

Do I need to do anything else? (Other than download & update my drivers again)

Format or partition the new SSD 1st? (I thought the install would do everything it needed to do including make the DVD "bootable" w/o my pre-prepping it)
Will the Mini automatically boot & load from the DVD in the above scenario, or will I have to hit some key at the start?
What is the "Custom Initialization String" & where would I find it? (for AT&T)

Again, thanks for any advice you might give me...

Squeezer
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 - 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer53
If I read your post correctly, you are using your Blackberry as a dial up modem so you don't need a wireless hotspot, Yes?
Yes.

Quote:
Does that use "talking" minutes on your plan or eat into data plan allowances?
No. I'm sure if I tried to download 5+GBs of data T-Mobile might call me, but for what I'm using it for, it won't be an issue (occasional web access when I have no other link available.)

Quote:
Did you have any issues w/ install of BB Desktop Manager?
I haven't installed it yet. I don't normally use Desktop Manager, because my phone is on a BES. Normally with XP you have to install it if you want to tether, but so far I don't need it!

Quote:
Hopefully your methods will work eaqually well with my hardware & my planned Windows 7 install (below).
Any advice you could offer would be appreciated as I have never replaced a hard drive or installed an oerating system from scratch.

My 64GB Runcore is sitting at my house right now, patiently waiting for me to come home to it (instead of the other way around)...

So tonight I will be finally installing the full version of Windows 7 on my mini.
Do you have any advice for me before I start the Windows 7 install and add my Blackberry Pearl 8100 (AT&T)?
The install is pretty straightforward. I've done it off a DVD, a USB hard drive and a USB stick with the install image, and all three methods worked fine.

I can't comment about the AT&T phone, because each provider handles tethering differently. My boss just attempted to tether his Sprint Pearl via USB cable (his Mini doesn't have Bluetooth), and it did not install a modem driver. He had to download Sprint's connection manager software, but now he's working and getting about 650kbps down.

Quote:
My system (Current)

Standard Dell XP install
Bios A04
2GB RAM
8GB STEC SSD (being Replaced)
External DVD Drive w/ Optional AC Power (or 2 USB post for power from Mini)

I intend to:
Burn the Windows 7 ISO to DVD
Physically swap the SSD in the Mini replacing with the out of the Box 64GB Runcore.
Then hook up my External DVD to the Mini USB port (DVD on external Power & Windows 7 Disc in it)
Then power up the Mini..

Do I need to do anything else? (Other than download & update my drivers again)
Hit 0 on the BIOS screen and select the External DVD :mrgreen:

The only drivers you will need are for the wireless switch, the combo card reader and Synaptic's Vista driver for the touchpad. Look for an earlier thread in this forum for links to all.

Quote:
Format or partition the new SSD 1st? (I thought the install would do everything it needed to do including make the DVD "bootable" w/o my pre-prepping it)
Will the Mini automatically boot & load from the DVD in the above scenario, or will I have to hit some key at the start?
What is the "Custom Initialization String" & where would I find it? (for AT&T)
You'll eventually get to the install screen for Windows 7. It's pretty straightforward from there. It will partition the drive automatically if you plan to use the entire drive for Windows 7.

For tethering info, there is a tethering FAQ on http://www.blackberryforums.com that covers phones from multiple providers. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post a link.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Thank You! - 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Wolfkeeper,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Your very complete & patient reply to my Newbie questions is very appreciated.

Based on your feedback it should be as easy as I was anticipating.

I had already downloaded the drivers you mentioned from the same post you referenced in anticipation of receiving the ssd.

My phone is BIS as opposed to your BES but it is worth a shot to be able to get online when I don't have a hot spot so I,ll see what the options are via the BB web link for how to. I don,t have BT either, so I,ll most likely have to do the same as your boss did. (Darn, I'll never get used to where the aposrophe is ops: Guess I'll be remapping my keyboard next.)

I'm not planning to set my mini up as a dual boot XP v. Win7, so I will not do any partitioning.
Come August, (or sooner if I don't like Win 7 performance) I'll either reinstall the OS using the Dell OEM Disc, buy the new Win 7 OS, or just hang onto my original SSD, put it back into the mini then ghost it back onto the Runcore & swap again (like in the video review). Since it's beta, I knew I would have to do one of the above no matter what.

BTW, I love my mini so far. Best thing for me to date is that it has turned into an opportunity for me to learn how to do things I would never have attempted in the past on my own. Since getting it, I have upgraded the RAM on it as well as Upgraded the RAM, graphics Card, Power Supply and OS on my Home Desktop Machine. (who knows, maybe I'll go after the processor & motherboard next)

Before the mini I accepted my computers as delivered and would just buy something new when it no longer met my needs.

Playing with & learning on a laptop that cost (originally) less than $250 is very liberating. Worst case scenario, I'm out a couple of hundred as opposed to toying with my old M90 which cost $2K or more. I am really having fun with do it yourself upgrades & am looking forward to becoming less dependent on the kindness of strangers and my company IT guys.

So, sincerely, thank you for your help as I journey down the road to computer and IT independence.

Squeezer
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 (Tethering) - 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM

I have a Blackberry Curve from T-Mobile and it requires you to install the Desktop Manager, but it does sorta work. The previous time I installed it I kept getting an error popping up while I was connected but things still worked. I'm reinstalling Win 7 after I had my adventures with OSX. Maybe the error will disappear.

As for how, here's a link to Blackberryforums.com they got a good explanation about it...

Clicky
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 (Tethering) - 03-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Hmmm, wonder what's goofy about the Curve. My older 7800g doesn't require the Desktop Manager installed and tethers just fine.

The only two things I did from the BlackberryForums FAQ is use the init string for T-Mobile on the modem and disable IP header compression.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 (Tethering) - 05-10-2009, 02:57 AM

Just want to add that it works with RC1. It does require you to install Desktop Manager but works perfectly with my Curve 8320.
  (#8) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Score one for Windows 7 (Tethering) - 05-10-2009, 03:13 AM

You don't need the Desktop Manager to tether.

I've been tethering on every build of Windows 7, and I upgraded to a 8900 Curve II in March.

Getting an iPad

« Missing Pointer | Windows 7 Release Candidate available »