Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 - Mini 9 - Wifi Range Suddenly Decreased? - 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Ok, not sure how to explain this, I've had Windows 7 Build 7000 release running on my Mini 9 for over a month with no problems at all, everything running flawlessly.

(I'm using all the hardware drivers windows 7 automatically chose - I've not manually installed or overridden anything)

I live in a flat that's on 3 different floors, the Mini 9 gets used on the top floor and my wireless router is on the bottom floor, up till now the mini 9 only used to get a wireless connection of 2 (out of 5) bars, but that was to be expected and I was totally fine with that, however since about a week ago for reasons beyond me the Mini 9 can see router but no longer connect, in fact it can't even connect on the middle floor, I have to carry the PC right down to the living room where the router is and only then it will connect... I've got no idea why this has suddenly happened - I've changed no software settings on the Mini or the router... all I can think of is maybe an automatic windows update on Win 7 could have kicked in while I turned the PC off one night, and perhaps this has caused it.

Naturally it seems like the wireless range has suddenly decreased, but I'm not sure if that's the case, the really odd thing is that before (when things worked well) when I tried to connect Windows 7 would see it as a 2 bar connection > connect > then report it at 2 bars occasionally fluctuating to 1 bar or 3 bars.

Now, Windows 7 sees the router as a perfect 5 bar connection (which obviously isn't correct given the PC and router are separated by a floor) but then completely fails to connect to it.

Any ideas?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to Cruleworld Send a message via MSN to Cruleworld
Default Re: Windows 7 - Mini 9 - Wifi Range Suddenly Decreased? - 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Perhaps it is a power saving setting on Win7, check the power settings in the control panel to see if it is somehow decreasing the power of the receiver.

(#3) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 - Mini 9 - Wifi Range Suddenly Decreased? - 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM

either that or have you tried a router reset yet? or diff. channel?

I was having probs similar to this where my wireless phone would kick me from network, sometimes I would still have net access( but not be able to access "MY Computer"), sometimes I would get a BSOD. Either way, upon reboot, I would get placed into my "public" profile where I could see my router but could not connect. A simple unplugging of the router for 10 seconds resolved this, I also ditched the WL phone as described in this thread. Could be something related to this as mentioned by holmes4.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330

« Build 7022 | Make W7 see SD Card as non-Removable? »